• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eight week contract abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eight week contract abroad

Hello everyone. I'm actually reluctant to post this in case there's some sort of pile on, but I genuinely can't find guidance anywhere for a similar situation to this. I've been offered the opportunity to go for an eight week contract which will consist of

two weeks in UK
    two weeks in France
    two weeks in Singapore
    two weeks in USA

The client would be covering expenses like travel and accommodation and the time abroad would be spent training new users.

The end client is headquartered in the US, but also has an office location in London.

My Ltd company is UK based & I would be invoicing the UK based agency in GBP.

My question of course is, does anyone know if am I liable for registering my company and paying tax in those other three countries?
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Do you have a visa which allows you to work for two weeks in the USA?

If it's just for a few days you may get away with describing it as "meetings" but for two weeks you're pushing it I reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
      Hello everyone. I'm actually reluctant to post this in case there's some sort of pile on, but I genuinely can't find guidance anywhere for a similar situation to this. I've been offered the opportunity to go for an eight week contract which will consist of

two weeks in UK
      two weeks in France
      two weeks in Singapore
      two weeks in USA

The client would be covering expenses like travel and accommodation and the time abroad would be spent training new users.

The end client is headquartered in the US, but also has an office location in London.

My Ltd company is UK based & I would be invoicing the UK based agency in GBP.

My question of course is, does anyone know if am I liable for registering my company and paying tax in those other three countries?
      Short answer: No. You are invoicing a UK agency, and hopefully the contract will say that you are working for the UK office.

But I'd want to check the contract and see if there are any visa requirements etc for each location. (hopefully not, if the contract says you are UK based and it's only one trip to each location)
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post

If you are contracted with UK entity to go deliver a bit of training and come back then its a pretty normal contract, albeit with some tasty travel. This appear to be the case.

It would be a problem if you were to be paid by each of these entities but you aren't.

All fairly straight forward.

See if you can pay for the travel and accommodation yourself on the points reward credit cards and invoice the client back. Get some nice freebies that way.

Checking Visas is essential. Don't travel unless it's been done properly and you are happy.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you everyone :-)

Comment

Sure you are getting paid ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Sure you are getting paid ?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              What?

Comment

Since the client is UK based, normally it would be taxed in the UK and would have no tax implications elsewhere.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post

If it's just for a few days you may get away with describing it as "meetings" but for two weeks you're pushing it I reckon.
                  I disagree... if your say you're in the US for meetings and TO RECEIVE training, plus some vacation days

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post

Can't see an issue with that - plenty of people fly to the USA for business meetings etc, and this is the like that. You aren't working in the USA in the sense of getting a job out there.

As for the OP, sounds like a cool contract

Comment

Working...
                    X