• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Eight week contract abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I disagree... if your say you're in the US for meetings and TO RECEIVE training, plus some vacation days
    But that would be lying, and lying to US CBP officers is a terrible idea.

OP says he's going to be providing training, which is working, for two weeks. No mention of vacation.
    That is not allowed under visa waiver program. There is basically no visa which allows a UK contractor to arrive in the USA and do some paid work for two weeks through his own UK company.

Like I said, meetings are OK, but if you think you can persuade an immigration officer that two weeks of paid work providing training is just "meetings" then good luck with that...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
      But that would be lying, and lying to US CBP officers is a terrible idea.

OP says he's going to be providing training, which is working, for two weeks. No mention of vacation.
      That is not allowed under visa waiver program. There is basically no visa which allows a UK contractor to arrive in the USA and do some paid work for two weeks through his own UK company.

Like I said, meetings are OK, but if you think you can persuade an immigration officer that two weeks of paid work providing training is just "meetings" then good luck with that...
      I'm not sure this is right as you can travel under the VWP for business:

Visa Waiver Program: United Kingdom ESTA

Travelers seeking to enter the United States for business or tourism (B-1/B-2 visa), or in transit (C-1) for less than 90 days may be eligible to travel to the United States visa free under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if they meet specific requirements.
      B-1 visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons traveling to the United States temporarily to engage in business activities such as the negotiation of contracts, consultation with business associates, litigation, and participation in scientific, educational, professional or business conventions, conferences or seminars and other legitimate activities of a commercial or professional nature.
      As he's employed by a UK entity, I can't see any issues here.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        I'm not sure this is right as you can travel under the VWP for business:
        Yes, but the kind of business you can do is very limited:

A foreign national traveling to the United States to conduct temporary business needs a visitor visa (B-1) unless qualifying for entry under the Visa Waiver Program.
        Examples of temporary business include:

Attending business meetings or consultations
        Attending a business convention or conference
        Negotiating contracts

Turning up to do a couple of weeks of full-time paid work just isn't allowed.

Comment

There were some long discussions on another thread. It might come under the following ESTA exception.

Installing, servicing, or repairing commercial or industrial equipment or machinery purchased from a company outside the United States or training U.S. workers to perform such services (but only under specific circumstances).
          This is a commercial computer system which they are rolling out into different locations.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            There were some long discussions on another thread. It might come under the following ESTA exception.

This is a commercial computer system which they are rolling out into different locations.
            Hmm, maybe. Anyway, the point is the OP should be prepared to answer some very detailed and probing questions, and not just land in the USA assuming he can breeze through immigration to do a couple of weeks' work without being confident that he's within the rules.

Comment

Hmm, maybe. Anyway, the point is the OP should be prepared to answer some very detailed and probing questions, and not just land in the USA assuming he can breeze through immigration to do a couple of weeks' work without being confident that he's within the rules.
              Indeed, It appears to be a grey area.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Yes, but the kind of business you can do is very limited...
                Turning up to do a couple of weeks of full-time paid work just isn't allowed.
                SL is entirely correct.

Unless the OP is planning to work the weekends, then IMO mentioning some vacation is not lying. But I won't be the one answering the questions that SL refers to (and yes, they do ask).

Comment

Working...
                X