• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting up as a Limited Company - worth doing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

Thanks for everyone's help

Comment

What is the self employed profit in the business? This will be your first consideration in determining whether to go limited. If profit is circa £35k+ I'd probably say it's worth it. If profit is £10k, then not so much. Another consideration would be from a commercial point of view in terms of limiting liability, bigger clients wanting that association etc.

If you get into a civil partnership and then set up a limited company, both inject capital into the company, have full rights to income and capital then there's nothing to be concerned about paying a salary and dividends to you even if you're not the main worker. You may have an issue with settlements legislation if you don't do it in that sequence.

As some have said, you can do all this yourself if you invest the time, learn etc. You'll need to arm yourself with knowledge about filing deadlines, iXBRL, Corporation Tax (capital allowances, FYA AIA, if applicable), RTI, MTD (which I assume you know about already), IR35, expenses that are allowable and disallowable and the treatment in the accounts, benefits in kind and personal tax just to name a few. There's plenty of archived advice on here if you use the search.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig@Clarity View Post
        What is the self employed profit in the business? This will be your first consideration in determining whether to go limited. If profit is circa £35k+ I'd probably say it's worth it. If profit is £10k, then not so much. Another consideration would be from a commercial point of view in terms of limiting liability, bigger clients wanting that association etc.

If you get into a civil partnership and then set up a limited company, both inject capital into the company, have full rights to income and capital then there's nothing to be concerned about paying a salary and dividends to you even if you're not the main worker. You may have an issue with settlements legislation if you don't do it in that sequence.

As some have said, you can do all this yourself if you invest the time, learn etc. You'll need to arm yourself with knowledge about filing deadlines, iXBRL, Corporation Tax (capital allowances, FYA AIA, if applicable), RTI, MTD (which I assume you know about already), IR35, expenses that are allowable and disallowable and the treatment in the accounts, benefits in kind and personal tax just to name a few. There's plenty of archived advice on here if you use the search.
        OP mention on the first line of the first post that turnover last year was about 100k last year...

I still don't understand the problem with settlements legislation on this case. OP mention he has been helping on the company, paperwork, book keeping etc., plus OP doesn't have another job, why paying a small salary and small dividend would attract the settlements legislation?

Just to add, that if you put the right time to learn how to do it yourself, it will probably put you ahead of half of the cheap accountants you can get!
        "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
          Just to add, that if you put the right time to learn how to do it yourself, it will probably put you ahead of half of the cheap accountants you can get!
          Even the cheapest of accountants should be able to tell you that turnover and profit are not the same thing. It might be a good idea to put some more time in to it...

Comment

Setting up as a Limited Company - worth doing?

Originally posted by Alchemy Accountancy View Post
            Even the cheapest of accountants should be able to tell you that turnover and profit are not the same thing. It might be a good idea to put some more time in to it...
            Yep. Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.... or summat
            Last edited by Lance; 13 August 2019, 15:18.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Alchemy Accountancy View Post

WOW!!! Thank you so much... now I know what I've been doing wrong...

I'm guessing if in a communications business you are making a turnover ok 100k the profit will be enough to justify to trade as a limited company...
              "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

I'm guessing if in a communications business you are making a turnover ok 100k the profit will be enough to justify to trade as a limited company...
                If you started all your advice with the bit in bold everything will be much clear.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

OP mention on the first line of the first post that turnover last year was about 100k last year...
                  Actually, the OP mentioned the "business that turned over £100,000 last year" rather than about £100k but I'll let that one slide

If you're trying to pick me up on giving out the wrong free advice unrelated to the OP then you may have misunderstood what I was trying to ascertain for the rest of the forum. Turnover doesn't equal profit which I fully grant and assume the OP will appreciate since he's got experience.

Just in case you're unsure though, Turnover = Sales = Income. Profit = Sales minus Expenses. Under self employment (and under a limited company too), tax is calculated on the net profit of the business not the turnover. As I implied in my original post, having a £100k turnover and £90k expenses to give them £10k profit, it's probably not really worth going limited for tax efficiency.

Also, just in case you have a limited company and you're not aware, corporation tax is roughly calculated on sales/turnover minus expenses not sales/turnover minus expenses minus dividends. I've had a many instances where people have assumed the latter which ends up being a bit messy.

I still don't understand the problem with settlements legislation on this case. OP mention he has been helping on the company, paperwork, book keeping etc., plus OP doesn't have another job, why paying a small salary and small dividend would attract the settlements legislation?
                  Because......setting up a limited company where you have a non working (main fee earner) spouse or civil partner does open you up to settlements legislation. Saying it doesn't attract the settlements legislation is technically incorrect. It does attract the settlements legislation, however, there is an exemption that applies to the legislation so I did say there's nothing to be concerned about.

However, if you have a non working associate (not a spouse or civil partner) or a limited company was set up with just the main worker as the owner, does a bit or work and the OP joined at a later date, there could be settlements issues. Having a good understanding of the actual law, case studies and not just HMRC's guidance is important in this area. Setting up a limited company in the wrong order and not having consideration for other aspects could spell trouble later on. That's why people here will at least give others a heads up to think about this area. As I mentioned in my original post, if they did it in the suggested order, there shouldn't be any worries.

Comment

You'll find all the accountants on here would never assume just because there is a turnover/sales of £100k that there will be sufficient profit to justify trading through a limited company. Whether you have a turnover/sales of £100k or £10k, the profit will must likely be less than this. Sometimes, it can be significantly less than this. Pub advice can be dangerous!

Comment

Working...
                    X