• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting up as a Limited Company - worth doing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up as a Limited Company - worth doing?

My partner has been self-employed for 8 or 9 years, she has a communications business that turned over £100,000 last year. She's set up as a sole trader at the moment and has recently registered for VAT.

I do her very basic accounts and tax return, but now her business is VAT registered I am setting her up on an accounts software package the is compliant with the new HMRC rules. I have experience of book keeping and some accounting and I'm studying for the ACCA accountancy qualifications, I've passed 2 of the 3 knowledge exams. Otherwise I am a house husband so I have no income at all.

We aren't married but will be entering into a civil partnership when the law changes at the end of the year.

I know that without knowing our full circumstances it might not be a straightforward question to ask but would it be worthwhile thinking about setting up a limited company for her business? Is it worth speaking to an accountant to wok out the best company structure and how best to pay me for my work for the company?

Thanks for any advice

The last line of all that nails it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Davebhoy View Post
      My partner has been self-employed for 8 or 9 years, she has a communications business that turned over £100,000 last year. She's set up as a sole trader at the moment and has recently registered for VAT.

I do her very basic accounts and tax return, but now her business is VAT registered I am setting her up on an accounts software package the is compliant with the new HMRC rules. I have experience of book keeping and some accounting and I'm studying for the ACCA accountancy qualifications, I've passed 2 of the 3 knowledge exams. Otherwise I am a house husband so I have no income at all.

We aren't married but will be entering into a civil partnership when the law changes at the end of the year.

I know that without knowing our full circumstances it might not be a straightforward question to ask but would it be worthwhile thinking about setting up a limited company for her business? Is it worth speaking to an accountant to wok out the best company structure and how best to pay me for my work for the company?

Thanks for any advice
      I think with that turnover, limited company is the way to go... specially if you are helping her out and you don't have any other income. She can pay you a small salary and some dividends for your work what would help keep things as tax efficient as possible. I believe if you already have a book keeping software, have the time and will, and you said you have some experience of book keeping you can learn all the "tricks" online on your own. But of course if you don't feel confident enough you should talk to an accountant...
      Last edited by CryingSheep; 11 August 2019, 21:19.
      "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
        I think with that turnout, limited company is the way to go... specially if you are helping her out and you don't have any other income. She can pay you a small salary and some dividends for your work what would help keep things as tax efficient as possible. I believe if you already have a book keeping software, have the time and will, and you said you have some experience of book keeping you can learn all the "tricks" online on your own. But of course if you don't feel confident enough you should talk to an accountant...
        You sure the dividends are a good idea while they aren't married?

Accountant is a must for at least the first year and Free agent will make it a doddle.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You sure the dividends are a good idea while they aren't married?

Accountant is a must for at least the first year and Free agent will make it a doddle.
          There is always risks involved in paying dividends to a partner, being married, civil partnership or nothing at all doesn't change much that risk from my perspective.

Most important is that specially the OPs partner is aware of the risks involved and accept it or not.

About an accountant being a must, each person is different, and different business might have different complexities. Personally using FA and having a very simple business, I don't see the point of paying to someone to fill a few boxes and press a few buttons on FA for you, but like I said you need some free time and the will to read, explore and learn.

Comment

There is always risks involved in paying dividends to a partner, being married, civil partnership or nothing at all doesn't change much that risk from my perspective.

Most important is that specially the OPs partner is aware of the risks involved and accept it or not.

About an accountant being a must, each person is different, and different business might have different complexities. Personally using FA and having a very simple business, I don't see the point of paying to someone to fill a few boxes and press a few buttons on FA for you, but like I said you need some free time and the will to read, explore and learn.
            and in English?

Comment

Why not from your perspective? Does the settlements legislation not apply to you?

No mention of making him a director either?

You just guessing with that advice?

Comment

Why not from your perspective? Does the settlements legislation not apply to you?

No mention of making him a director either?

You just guessing with that advice?
                If, like he said, OP is helping managing the business, doing the books etc. why paying a small salary and some dividends would fall into the settlements legislation?

Comment

The settlements legislation applies to *gifts* of shares. Setting up a completely new limited company would not have this problem... the partner would just throw in the £1 initial cost a of a share.

Have I misunderstood the point that you were making?
                  Last edited by wattaj; 12 August 2019, 08:16.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                  Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by Davebhoy View Post

Thanks for any advice
                    It sounds like a limited company is the way to go for you guys, without knowing your full circumstances, it would be hard to say for definite of course.

The investment of an accountant for the first year will more than pay for itself in the long run knowledge and tax-wise. If you then wanted to go it alone, you can take that knowledge away with you into yr 2 etc.
                    www.inniaccounts.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X