• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

International travel expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International travel expenses

Hi,

I'll be doing an international trip as part of a client engagement.

What is the IR35 savvy way of doing this? If the client books it for me is this a problem?

Cheers,
    Untouchable1

Guess no one reads basic guides anymore so...

Pay for it yourself on the points card and invoice them if you can. If they insist on booking and paying for it then just do that

Minor IR35 point at the very best and if they've made a business choice due to insurances etc and everyone has to use it then it can't be a factor at all.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 15 August 2019, 13:42.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I book it myself using my points credit card and then invoice it to the client. This way, I can book my travel separately to the programme manager which is good for my sanity.

Though every few months someone will kick up a storm as to why I'm not booking through their internal system and I've said I'll do it if you can get me into your travel system. Rinse and repeat. It's not that straightforward to get a contractor into the client travel booking system at this particular client. All permie's have employee ID, whereas contractors don't have any employee ID # and the travel booking system can't deal with that.

Comment

1. If the client pays for it, happy days. I see no IR35 implications of this, especially if it works out cheaper for the client this way - it's just a business agreement and its less paperwork.

2. If YourCo pays directly and client is happy to reimburse, you need to invoice them (and charge VAT on top of whatever you agree to charge them). Normally you would invoice them for what it has cost you net of any original VAT (if any) and then charge your VAT on top, but what you actually re-charge is between you and the client. Some people on the flat-rate VAT scheme prefer to re-charge the gross amount (+ VAT) as they cannot recover the input VAT directly. That's also fine but might not be what your client or agency expects (search for previous threads on this, there's no point in re-hashing this here).

3. If you pay and claim the costs from YourCo, the procedure is still the same as number 2 above, except you expense claim the costs from YourCo, who reimburses you, then YourCo re-charges the cost to the client.

Generally I would go with 1 or 2 depending on a) cashflow and b) how prompt the client is at paying.
        Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 15 August 2019, 15:24.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          1. If the client pays for it, happy days. I see no IR35 implications of this, especially if it works out cheaper for the client this way - it's just a business agreement and its less paperwork.

2. If YourCo pays directly and client is happy to reimburse, you need to invoice them (and charge VAT on top of whatever you agree to charge them). Normally you would invoice them for what it has cost you net of any original VAT (if any) and then charge your VAT on top, but what you actually re-charge is between you and the client. Some people on the flat-rate VAT scheme prefer to re-charge the gross amount (+ VAT) as they cannot recover the input VAT directly. That's also fine but might not be what your client or agency expects (search for previous threads on this, there's no point in re-hashing this here).

3. If you pay and claim the costs from YourCo, the procedure is still the same as number 2 above, except you expense claim the costs from YourCo, who reimburses you, then YourCo re-charges the cost to the client.

Generally I would go with 1 or 2 depending on a) cashflow and b) how prompt the client is at paying.
          And I'd prefer 2 over 3 because the person handling my expenses is an incompetent moron.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

How should you capture these reimbursed expenses in your final year accounts?

Comment

Originally posted by lumalist View Post
              Reimbursed in what way?

Are you talking about paying personally and YourCo reimbursing you? If so like any other employee expense.

If you mean recharging the cost to the client, then this would be recorded as company income.

Comment

Hopefully your accountant will help you.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Hopefully your accountant will help you.
                  Two of my accountants have advised in the past that these 'expenses' get classified as Cost of Goods sold. However, there seems to be no agreement as one of their colleagues told me something completely different when they became my accountant for a while.

Comment

Employee travel expenses aren’t cost of goods sold. Are you even selling goods, for starters? The cost of reimbursing employee travel costs is an administrative expense. It could come under staff costs or simply travel.

Comment

Working...
                    X