• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business banking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
    I don't think you are required to, but I did a test transfer straight away just to make sure everything was working.
    Cheers...I'm still reading, but what's with the short video bit for application?
    Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
      Cheers...I'm still reading, but what's with the short video bit for application?
      It's the modern equivalent of sending off signed application forms in the post. It's actually very slick. Send a photo of your ID (passport/driving licence), send a video clip so they can check the person opening the account is the same person shown in the ID.

Comment

Just to mention if you want a free FreeAgent account, then RBS/NatWest are worth considering. They're a long established bank, unlike Starling...which I appreciate can be seen as both as positive and a negative.

Most of the big (traditional) banks should now have live feeds that work well via Open Banking, so no longer relying on Yodlee/screen scraping. See here.

Not trying to put you off Starling, just chucking another option in there. Starling isn't on the Open Banking list (yet), but I gather does sync nicely with FreeAgent. Only oddity is it seems you need to instigate it from the Starling end, rather than FreeAgent end (ie Starling pushes data to FreeAgent, rather than FreeAgent pulling it from Starling).

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          Yorkshire Bank and Clydesdale (same thing) currently do 2 years free for switchers.
          Just on Yorkshire Bank and Clydesdale, we've had issues with majority of clients who bank with these in relation to the FreeAgent bank feed (this may, hopefully will, improve with open banking). Duplicated transactions etc, might be worth the OP bearing this is mind as he is also looking for FA.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
            RBS/NatWest are worth considering. They're a long established bank, unlike Starling
            Long established banks are precisely the problem that Starling aims to solve.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
              Just to mention if you want a free FreeAgent account, then RBS/NatWest are worth considering. They're a long established bank, unlike Starling...which I appreciate can be seen as both as positive and a negative.

Most of the big (traditional) banks should now have live feeds that work well via Open Banking, so no longer relying on Yodlee/screen scraping. See here.

Not trying to put you off Starling, just chucking another option in there. Starling isn't on the Open Banking list (yet), but I gather does sync nicely with FreeAgent. Only oddity is it seems you need to instigate it from the Starling end, rather than FreeAgent end (ie Starling pushes data to FreeAgent, rather than FreeAgent pulling it from Starling).
              Thanks Maslins.
              Do RBS/Natwest offer free banking too? Not sure what the application process might be, or how long it might take, but suspect longer than Starling if they're 'traditional' banks. I was looking for free business banking tbh.
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                Yorkshire Bank and Clydesdale (same thing) currently do 2 years free for switchers.

TSB do 18 months.

The rest tend to be free for new businesses only.

You can get 5.5 years free by going Clydesdale-->TSB-->Yorkshire :-)

Use that only for in and out transfers and let it sit in Aldermore the rest of the time.

Your accountant will tell you how much money you've got for yourself and tax
                Freeagent?
                Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
                  It's the modern equivalent of sending off signed application forms in the post. It's actually very slick. Send a photo of your ID (passport/driving licence), send a video clip so they can check the person opening the account is the same person shown in the ID.
                  Hmm, wife's a PSC & not keen on this, she's a bit tech-paranoid so might need a rethink or get her temporarily removed as PSC...
                  Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                    Have decided to switch business banking from HSBC.
                    Been reading some good things on a previous thread, & elsewhere, about Starling. Are they still favourable? Any issues?
                    I'm looking for free banking, no fees, freeagent integration, & quick set-up with minimal fuss. Free freeagent would be even better tbh...
                    Seems Starling only have business current a/c whereas before with HSBC they provided a savings a/c called business money manager where I could shift VAT/Corp Tax amounts to until they were due to be paid. Not a deal breaker not having this but I like to separate these things from normal current a/c. Cheers.
                    Have you been put off by the recent HSBC online banking upgrade?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                    Don't believe it, until you see it!

Comment

Originally posted by darrylmg View Post
                      Have you been put off by the recent HSBC online banking upgrade?

Sent from my SM-T280 using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
                      It's not too bad. Downloading statements is far more straightforward now

Comment

Working...
                      X