• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business banking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business banking

Have decided to switch business banking from HSBC.
    Been reading some good things on a previous thread, & elsewhere, about Starling. Are they still favourable? Any issues?
    I'm looking for free banking, no fees, freeagent integration, & quick set-up with minimal fuss. Free freeagent would be even better tbh...
    Seems Starling only have business current a/c whereas before with HSBC they provided a savings a/c called business money manager where I could shift VAT/Corp Tax amounts to until they were due to be paid. Not a deal breaker not having this but I like to separate these things from normal current a/c. Cheers.
    Clarity is everything

Yorkshire Bank and Clydesdale (same thing) currently do 2 years free for switchers.

TSB do 18 months.

The rest tend to be free for new businesses only.

You can get 5.5 years free by going Clydesdale-->TSB-->Yorkshire :-)

Use that only for in and out transfers and let it sit in Aldermore the rest of the time.

Your accountant will tell you how much money you've got for yourself and tax
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Starling is still good, still free, still works smoothly with FreeAgent.

You can create separate pots for tax and war chest which sounds like what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
        Starling is still good, still free, still works smoothly with FreeAgent.

You can create separate pots for tax and war chest which sounds like what you're looking for.
        Yep that looks like the thing I'm after, cheers. What's the cycle time from initial set-up request to being open?
        Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
          Yep that looks like the thing I'm after, cheers. What's the cycle time from initial set-up request to being open?
          A few hours typically? Mine took a bit longer because my company is multiple-PSC so had to wait for my wife to do all her bits.

Comment

Seek and ye shall find: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2644983
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

A few hours typically? Mine took a bit longer because my company is multiple-PSC so had to wait for my wife to do all her bits.
              Good news, thanks, I think with this and the other research I've done, I'm persuaded.
              Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                Yep, that's the thread I referred to at the outset of this post when I said 'Been reading some good things on a previous thread'
                Clarity is everything

Comment

One last thing, do you need to provide funds for an opening balance, token £1 or something?
                  Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                    One last thing, do you need to provide funds for an opening balance, token £1 or something?
                    I don't think you are required to, but I did a test transfer straight away just to make sure everything was working.

Comment

Working...
                    X