• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 letters going out to GlaxoSmithKline contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here, let me do that for you...

IR35 "nudge" letters from HMRC - what you need to know - Boox

IR35: Are HMRC priming contractors for what's to come? | PayStream

And while I haven’t had the time to dig out the appropriate legislation, I’m sure that webberg or iliketax will point me in the right direction.

So, unless you can dig out that legislation that proves otherwise, if I hear of you touting this “ignore” nonsense again, I will permaban you.

I hope I’ve made myself clear on this to others as well...
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 15 December 2019, 15:53.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'm one of these (ex)GSK contractors who received HMRC letter. Thanks god I have QDOS insurance (after reading lots of useful advice on this forum when I started contracting. I anyone has any doubts why pay for it, this is why!). QDOS told me to fill in claims form so doing it right now and I'll let them handle it. I'm also IPSE+ member but not had a chance to speak to them, will give them a call tomorrow.

Worst come to worst... just imagine us (1500?) GSK contractors suing GSK for holiday pay and pension... bet GSK can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by DZ2 View Post
        I'm one of these (ex)GSK contractors who received HMRC letter. Thanks god I have QDOS insurance (after reading lots of useful advice on this forum when I started contracting. I anyone has any doubts why pay for it, this is why!). QDOS told me to fill in claims form so doing it right now and I'll let them handle it. I'm also IPSE+ member but not had a chance to speak to them, will give them a call tomorrow.

Worst come to worst... just imagine us (1500?) GSK contractors suing GSK for holiday pay and pension... bet GSK can't wait.
        Good luck!

If you feel up to sharing how the process goes, it will be a really valuable insight for the rest of us.

Comment

QDOS told me to fill in claims form so doing it right now and I'll let them handle it. I'm also IPSE+ member but not had a chance to speak to them, will give them a call tomorrow.
          What ladymuck says but could you also tell us what happens when you speak to Ipse. There has been lots of debate about why you need both TLC35 and IPSE+
          I've got both as well so would be very interesting to see what happens now you have to opportunity to use both. Could end the discussion as to whether both is a waste of time or not.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I agree with the others - would be good to get an update.

I think what normally happens when you have overlapping insurance with different providers is that you nominate one by triggering the claims process. In other words, both will ask if you’ve already made a claim with another. In the above example, I’d guess that IPSE will step away.

Comment

Best of luck with it.

I guess if you're not there, you've no indication of how gsk intended to deal with the IR35 changes. If they're on-side, your fight is much easier.

Keep us posted.

Comment

So HMRC have got a hunch about 1500 contractors who have provided services to GSK? Sounds like a wild stab in the dark. Nothing at all to do with HMRC's separate investigation into GSK regarding high levels of contractors compared to industry norms. To anybody affected, speak with your accountant and get professional advice if you don't have cover. This smacks of a large corporate passing the buck to contractors following two years of HMRC probing.

Good luck to all concerned - I am one of the chosen ones and think this is ridiculous HMRC contractor profiling at its worst. I will, however, leave it to the experts to explain how five weeks of specific project skills does not amount to "off payroll working". What an enormous waste of time and effort hunting down the average joe instead of HMRC growing a pair and tackling the large corporates head on.

Comment

Originally posted by quidproquo View Post
                  So HMRC have got a hunch about 1500 contractors who have provided services to GSK? Sounds like a wild stab in the dark. Nothing at all to do with HMRC's separate investigation into GSK regarding high levels of contractors compared to industry norms. To anybody affected, don't speak with your accountant, get professional advice. This smacks of a large corporate passing the buck to contractors following two years of HMRC probing.

Good luck to all concerned - I am one of the chosen ones and think this is ridiculous HMRC contractor profiling at its worst. I will, however, leave it to the experts to explain how five weeks of specific project skills does not amount to "off payroll working". What an enormous waste of time and effort hunting down the average joe instead of HMRC growing a pair and tackling the large corporates head on.
                  FTFY
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    FTFY
                    Indeed, I don’t call a plumber to paint my walls

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by quidproquo View Post
                      I will, however, leave it to the experts to explain how five weeks of specific project skills does not amount to "off payroll working".
                      If your engagement is clearly "outside" (which from your brief description sounds likely), I'd also feel inclined to present it, along with your expert's response, as evidence to your MP of HMRC's misguided view that we're all dodging taxes.

Comment

Working...
                      X