• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 letters going out to GlaxoSmithKline contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    It's been raised on the IPSE forums and the CEO has said that they are meeting with their tax advisors later today, and will provide an update following that. I wouldn't expect them to wing a response before having done so, so unsure why this is amusing.
    Really, mudskipper, do lighten up. We all know where tea and biscuits gets you. FWIW, GSK are likely to throw the contractors under the bus anyway with or without the help of your friends. (When I was there, GSK had form though not quite that harsh, be very clear their top three priorities are GSK, GSK and GSK).
    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 28 August 2019, 10:01.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

It's been raised on the IPSE forums and the CEO has said that they are meeting with their tax advisors later today, and will provide an update following that. I wouldn't expect them to wing a response before having done so, so unsure why this is amusing.
      The italicised facts went missing in Fred's reply...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        The italicised facts went missing in Fred's reply...
        Thank you cojak, indeed, not everyone appreciates (Or chooses to recall) that when myself and one or two others were giving "facts" to mudskipper's friends to act on, we were chastised for spreading unsubstantiated rumour. My sides are splitting here, honestly

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Thank you cojak, indeed, not everyone appreciates (Or chooses to recall) that when myself and one or two others were giving "facts" to mudskipper's friends to act on, we were chastised for spreading unsubstantiated rumour. My sides are splitting here, honestly
          I actually am clueless as to what you're referring to, but "facts" without supporting evidence are unsubstantiated rumour.

It makes me sad when people appear to want to present ipse as a bunch of incompetent idiots who no longer care about IR35. I agree wholeheartedly that the comms needs (a lot of) work, but there are people busting a gut to do their best for us.

I know you're not going to be convinced, Fred, and that's fine. I'm not uncritical - I'm still very pissed off about the governance changes, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the good work they do do.

Comment

Probably because historically they had a large number of contractors. I worked for them in two contracts at two sites. A good while ago admittedly, but I'd estimate 40 to 50% of the people on those sites back then were engaged via agencies. Low hanging fruit I'd say.
            Cheers. So would make sense that they may continue this tactic with some of the other low hanging fruit, such as those who have contracted on and off with the big banks over the years?

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Badrinath View Post
              Cheers. So would make sense that they may continue this tactic with some of the other low hanging fruit, such as those who have contracted on and off with the big banks over the years?
              Without a doubt.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I actually am clueless as to what you're referring to, but "facts" without supporting evidence are unsubstantiated rumour.

It makes me sad when people appear to want to present ipse as a bunch of incompetent idiots who no longer care about IR35. I agree wholeheartedly that the comms needs (a lot of) work, but there are people busting a gut to do their best for us.

I know you're not going to be convinced, Fred, and that's fine. I'm not uncritical - I'm still very pissed off about the governance changes, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the good work they do do.
                Fair enough MS, you've never done me any harm and I DO appreciate hard work. I do NOT appreciate the treatment I and few others got by the management there. But it's off topic. I'll say no more here.

Comment

If a good percentage roll over and pay up without argument, then they'd be crazy not to try it with other big engagers.

Comment

Well, it's only my opinion of course. I am not in finance. But I could imagine other big names in my industry like Bechtel, Wood, Jacobs, BP and others getting more attention.

For all the goings on at GSK (actually, I liked GSK and the people there) like capping contract durations, enforced bench time etc.... There are a lot of people who would have got long service awards had they been eligible.
                    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 28 August 2019, 10:37.

Comment

Well, it's only my opinion of course. I am not in finance. But I could imagine other big names in my industry like Bechtel, Wood, Jacobs, BP and others getting more attention.

For all the goings on at GSK (actually, I liked GSK and the people there) like capping contract durations, enforced bench time etc.... There are a lot of people who would have got long service awards had they been eligible.
                      Certainly Bechtel and BP who are reliant on contractors and a viable flexible resource pool will be paying attention. IME they are two companies who manage employees and contractors separately and properly.

As with all such things though, they are only as good as their advisors... and there seem to be an awful lot of them all of a sudden.
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X