• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 letters going out to GlaxoSmithKline contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed so I can't really see how group representation is going to work, except maybe help those that didn't bother getting the proper insurances.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Reading through the comments on Dave Chaplin's LinkedIn Account, it's no wonder that HMRC believe 90% of Contractors are inside of IR35.

One guy, utterly clueless on the IR35 Legislation. His LinkedIn Profile states he works for one of the big banks whilst simultaneously running his own Ltd Company for the same 3yr period. Hmmm.....

Guys like this need throwing under the bus.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
        I'm expecting to see a letter go out to every one who has been off-payrole and reported on the Agency off-payroll regulations. There was a question if the the reporting regulations required the end clients details, however they do have the agencies details that made the report.
        If they are targeting everybody it will be easy to get lost in the crowd when 465,000 individual responses come flying back in.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Dave Chaplin is collecting names but there should be no group representation. If you've paid for it you've got representation, if you haven't, you don't.

It's going to set a potentially bad precedent if one group of contractors is represented and letters start going out to many different companies in the coming months who then won't get any help as the money has run out. This isn't a one off, it's potentially the start of something much bigger.
          Indeed, but from the CC twitter account it looks like a group is being formed. Was just wondering who he's getting to administer / represent people.

Comment

Originally posted by MoroccanMole View Post
            Reading through the comments on Dave Chaplin's LinkedIn Account, it's no wonder that HMRC believe 90% of Contractors are inside of IR35.

One guy, utterly clueless on the IR35 Legislation. His LinkedIn Profile states he works for one of the big banks whilst simultaneously running his own Ltd Company for the same 3yr period. Hmmm.....

If I was HMRC I would be data farming some of those comments...
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

His LinkedIn Profile states he works for one of the big banks whilst simultaneously running his own Ltd Company for the same 3yr period. Hmmm.....

That's rather normal for linkedin profile. What is the problem with it?

Comment

It's long been my opinion that maybe 90% of agency workers should be under IR35. (In most of the world they already are). I think you're kidding yourself if you regularly work in the typical Big Co PLC end user office. Parking on the company car park, using the office coffee machine (it was free in many GSK sites), using the subsidised canteen (GSK Dartford was great), doing the same role as the guy next to you and so on....... But at the same time complaining, "IR35 doesn't apply to me, I run a real bizniz" etc... No longer cuts the ice. I don't agree with HMRC tactics on making IR35 stick but it seems I'm not on my own thinking that the used and abused gravy train of incorporation under a veil of a B2B contract is coming off the rails. Nobody can really complain (well, you can, I guess) but we've all had a great ride the last twenty years. Now it's time to move on.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  It's long been my opinion that maybe 90% of agency workers should be under IR35. (In most of the world they already are). I think you're kidding yourself if you regularly work in the typical Big Co PLC end user office. Parking on the company car park, using the office coffee machine (it was free in many GSK sites), using the subsidised canteen (GSK Dartford was great), doing the same role as the guy next to you and so on....... But at the same time complaining, "IR35 doesn't apply to me, I run a real bizniz" etc... No longer cuts the ice. I don't agree with HMRC tactics on making IR35 stick but it seems I'm not on my own thinking that the used and abused gravy train of incorporation under a veil of a B2B contract is coming off the rails. Nobody can really complain (well, you can, I guess) but we've all had a great ride the last twenty years. Now it's time to move on.
                  It rather depends who you think is the villain here. If you do the sums properly and understand corporate budgets, every "contractor" costs their client roughly the same as the equivalent permie role less a small percentage for project budgets vs revenue ones. However they represent a saving of around 20% on little things like pensions, notice periods, redundancy and management support.

Companies use contractors to save money - lots of money over the years - as well as risk and taxes.

F2M was triggered by not only finance houses using contracting as a way to save money and reward their high fliers financially at the same time but also by things like hotel chains subbing out their low-paid floor staff. Nowadays councils are doing it as well, with people you would think they employed such as social care and community nursing.

Yes there are piss-taking contractors, but there is a lot more money being lost by ignoring the clients.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    It rather depends who you think is the villain here. If you do the sums properly and understand corporate budgets, every "contractor" costs their client roughly the same as the equivalent permie role less a small percentage for project budgets vs revenue ones. However they represent a saving of around 20% on little things like pensions, notice periods, redundancy and management support.

Companies use contractors to save money - lots of money over the years - as well as risk and taxes.

F2M was triggered by not only finance houses using contracting as a way to save money and reward their high fliers financially at the same time but also by things like hotel chains subbing out their low-paid floor staff. Nowadays councils are doing it as well, with people you would think they employed such as social care and community nursing.

Yes there are piss-taking contractors, but there is a lot more money being lost by ignoring the clients.
                    So what?

IR35 isn't aimed at badly managed companies. It's aimed firmly at the agency workers who should rightly be on pay roll.

It isn't all bad, I am on company pay roll and I take home after tax more every month than my highest ever UK contracting role. The UK is the exception in the world rather than the norm.

Time to move on I'm afraid. Repeating the same lame old mantras simply isn't going to help you. One day you may realise it.
                    Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 29 August 2019, 10:55.
                    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                      If I was HMRC I would be data farming some of those comments...
                      Lol. I've said this for years.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X