• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming a refund from my accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claiming a refund from my accountant

If my accountant has made a number of errors over the last year (I'm getting rid of them this month) am I able to reclaim some of the money that has been paid for them? Or not pay them the 1 month notice? I have all the errors documented via emails.

You could be entitled to it but good luck getting it. They aren't going to just hand it over. You could report them to whatever body it is and/or go small claims but we can't be talking a lot here. Is it really worth it?

Change accountants and forget the whole affair IMO.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If going to small claims I suspect (IANAL) that you would have to prove material loss as a result of their errors? You could, as NLUK suggests, report them to whatever body they are a member of (ACCA, CIMA, etc) and see if they have any compensation claims processes.

You could also try saying to the firm that you will not pay any final instalment due because of the errors and see what they say. Getting money back is going to be difficult, I suspect. It's always easier to withhold funds but make sure your move to the new accountant is complete before you withhold any payment.

Comment

Originally posted by cannon999 View Post
        If my accountant has made a number of errors over the last year (I'm getting rid of them this month) am I able to reclaim some of the money that has been paid for them? Or not pay them the 1 month notice? I have all the errors documented via emails.
        Sure. You invoke the clause in your contract of service with the accountancy firm, where it says you will be refunded based on the quality of their work.

You have that clause don't you??? No?
        Oh well. In that case, no you can't.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

As with any shoddy service dispute, you should have been raising it with your acountant at the time and not storing them up. It's why you cannot go into a restaurant, order a meal, eat it all then say the beef was tough as old boots so you are only willing topay half the bill.

If you havent been bringing these issues to their attention as and when, you could still complain and ask for a reduction in the bill. Whether they give you one though is another matter.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

No probably not, but if it makes you feel better fire away for the sake of a few quid, or just move on with your life as do short

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

If they're not preparing your EOY accounts and you need to pay another accountant to do that work, you may be able to a get a refund, because that is the bulk of your annual payment. Monthly payments are best viewed as staged payments for this EOY work (the RTI, VAT and other interannual stuff is small in comparison). There's no harm in asking. However, most likely, it's completely discretionary w/r to your T&Cs. Many accountants don't like to burn bridges, so you may get a refund.

Comment

This is a negotiation to be had with your accountant (assuming you have no contractual basis for such a claim) and nothing more. If you're not happy with them it would be easier to simply move (and negotiate any early termination fees with them).

Comment

Working...
                X