• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Setting up Ltd Co with partner (non-spouse)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up Ltd Co with partner (non-spouse)

Hello,

I would like to know if there are any issues with setting up a new Limited Company with a non-spouse (long term partner living together with children) with 50/50 shares.

My partner would have little involvement in the running of the Company (admin type duties) but would however receive 50% of the dividends.

I can see clearly online that this is fine for Spouses (based on Arctic Systems case), but it is much less clear for non-Spouses and especially for one's where they were 50% shareholders from the inception of the Company (opposed to gifting shares after the company formed and have value).

Appreciate if anyone that has any further information on the above could shed some light.

Thanks

Originally posted by Dario View Post
    Hello,

I would like to know if there are any issues with setting up a new Limited Company with a non-spouse (long term partner living together with children) with 50/50 shares.

My partner would have little involvement in the running of the Company (admin type duties) but would however receive 50% of the dividends.

I can see clearly online that this is fine for Spouses (based on Arctic Systems case), but it is much less clear for non-Spouses and especially for one's where they were 50% shareholders from the inception of the Company (opposed to gifting shares after the company formed and have value).

Appreciate if anyone that has any further information on the above could shed some light.

Thanks
    You should post this not in general . Saying that doing it with spouse is tax efficient but the risks are if you split then she owns 50% of the business. I know a contractor who split and was worried she would take all his money... the idiot spent it all on party, booze and girls, in the end she didn't and now tax man wants his money lol. I did say to him it's not his money but the companies money but didn't get it till HMRC came knocking on his door.

I would suggest talk to an accountant. Many questions to ask like does she work? If so would it take her to next tax bracket. Personally my wife does admin and no other source of income but she only has 40% of the shares and that was gifted after incorporation. This still leaves me in power over the company. When getting a mortage the provider wants to know if you have control and I'm sure I've been asked this same question elsewhere.

Best advice ask an accountant. Personal advice.... if she doesn't work and you trust her 100% (get on very well and both love each other) then gift 40% not 50% which is legitimate and still very tax efficient.
    Last edited by cosmic; 30 August 2019, 18:15.

Comment

For god's sake marry the poor woman and stop making bastards.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
        For god's sake marry the poor woman and stop making bastards.
        This is what Cosmic meant when mention you shouldn't post this on general...
        "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Moved now.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It is possible, I did it although we have since married. I only did a 75:25 split though.

Do a search though, this has been discussed to death on here and I’m so bored of long winded discussions on this subject.

The TLDR; version: it’s not caught by the settlements legislation by default like it is with married couples (where you need to make sure the spouse exemption applies) but it is still potentially possible to be caught by the rules in the right circumstances.

There’s also no real case law to provide definite guidance either way so most would say that adds an element of risk. On the other hand HMRC seem to have lost interest in pursuing settlements cases since they lost Arctic with only a couple of exceptional cases.

There’s also the other risk which is not tax related at all which is that you are giving up half of your business and it (and any dividends) will be hers to do with as she pleases. Bear that in mind if you think there’s any chance of you splitting up (mind you this is also an issue if you are married).

Get advice from your accountant on how to do this properly and spend some time reading old discussions if you really want to know the ins and outs - I have posted a lot about this in the past.
            Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 31 August 2019, 08:31.

Comment

Working...
            X