• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's good for easy business banking these days?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I don't think I've ever checked my business banking on my phone. If I wanted to, I can via my browser.

Maybe I'm just unfairly cynical of everything being an app these days
    I'm kinda with you on this. However one thing I have been impressed by is how quickly people can get an account opened with the likes of Starling. I haven't done it myself, but it seems you can get it all done from your computer within about half an hour. Compare that to most "traditional" banks where you'll need to either post off a massive form and wait ages, or try to book an appointment with someone at the local branch.

For me personally I'm very much an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" person. One biz I'm with uses HSBC, the other Cater Allen. I'm happy enough with both, so no desire to switch to Starling or anyone else.

Comment

Metro Bank for me.
      Bolts onto Crunch Accounting too.
      Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
        I'm kinda with you on this. However one thing I have been impressed by is how quickly people can get an account opened with the likes of Starling. I haven't done it myself, but it seems you can get it all done from your computer within about half an hour.
        Wait. So you open it with your computer but can't use it with your computer?

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
          You open it with the phone app, not computer. Very slick process. No paperwork involved at all.

Comment

So how do you prove your identity and so on?

If it's available same day I might just try it and see, I'd seen Which say it took several weeks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So how do you prove your identity and so on?
              Send a photo of your id. Send a video selfie of yourself confirming you want to open the account. All done through the app, very slick, account can be open within an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                Now I feel old...perhaps you can only get an account by smartphone?! For clarity I've never opened a Starling account, just assumed it could be done from a PC. Maybe I'm wrong and normal PCs are so '90s?!

Comment

Now I feel old...perhaps you can only get an account by smartphone?! For clarity I've never opened a Starling account, just assumed it could be done from a PC. Maybe I'm wrong and normal PCs are so '90s?!
                  I was looking into this a bit, wondering if I'd been too hasty to reject them, and you have to download the app and apply through it.

As far as I can tell your ONLY access to your account is via the app. Which implies if you want to look at your accounts 'properly' you would have to do so via an integration with FreeAgent or similar. I suppose in reality that is fine though I often want to check my statements, check the FA balance matches, check FA Vs bank transactions if FA gets confused. I'd find that a bit weird having to do it on my phone, so it'd be interesting to hear more first hand experiences.

I was also somewhat concerned, what if you don't have FA et al initially but then get it. Does the app give you unrestricted access to all transactions, and let you download them as XLS or anything if you want that?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Starling, Monzo, Revolut (and others new banks) are app only.

Many of the older banks are now catching up feature-wise with some of the things the "new" banks brought into their apps first, eg pin reminders, freezing/unfreezing bank cards at click of button, fingerprint login (love this using my phone fingerprint reader).

The new banks are all still miles ahead in terms of account opening speed though.

Starling and Monzo both have excellent in-app chat support which is very responsive, so no more waiting on hold on a call. Even when they are busy, you don't need to sit staring at your phone, the app notifies you of replies.

Comment

I was also somewhat concerned, what if you don't have FA et al initially but then get it. Does the app give you unrestricted access to all transactions, and let you download them as XLS or anything if you want that?
                      I'm with Starling, and have used the app to generate/download bank statements (PDF format). CSV exports are also an option - looks like you can set a custom date range going back 1 year.

I've also previously spoke to Starling help, and they've posted out a certified bank statement to me.

So far, it has worked well for what I need. I was previously with Metro, but prefer Starling.

Comment

Working...
                      X