• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's good for easy business banking these days?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    As far as I can tell your ONLY access to your account is via the app.
    Correct.

Which implies if you want to look at your accounts 'properly' you would have to do so via an integration with FreeAgent or similar.
    Really struggling to understand why you keep using the word "proper". What is not "proper" about doing all this through a mobile app instead of a web page? Is there a particular screen size at which things start being "proper" for you?

I suppose in reality that is fine though I often want to check my statements, check the FA balance matches, check FA Vs bank transactions if FA gets confused. I'd find that a bit weird having to do it on my phone, so it'd be interesting to hear more first hand experiences.
    First hand experience: I love using the Starling app - I can do everything I need with it - and I'm never going back to a crap old-fashioned bank.

Good on you for giving it another look, though. I suspect you would be pleasantly surprised once you get over the initial culture shock.

Comment

When I talk about 'proper' I mean you never see anyone doing their accounts on a phone, even though you can get Excel on a phone.
      To check your account quickly, fine.
      For me I just use my computer for work so having to open my phone up and download a CSV and send that to my PC is a bit artificial. FA would mean I rarely need to in theory, but in practice there's always something!

I chatted online with them today and was pretty impressed how knowledgeable the person was there, considering web-chat is not always very good. So another plus point.
      Given that it's free I am strongly tempted to just one anyway, because it would be handy to have a business account already.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

When I talk about 'proper' I mean you never see anyone doing their accounts on a phone
        You do now.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
          You do now.
          Hipsters sucking on their low fat suckamuchachinos?

Seriously though thanks for the input.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

When I talk about 'proper' I mean you never see anyone doing their accounts on a phone, even though you can get Excel on a phone.
            To check your account quickly, fine.
            For me I just use my computer for work so having to open my phone up and download a CSV and send that to my PC is a bit artificial. FA would mean I rarely need to in theory, but in practice there's always something!
            Looks like Starling will be adding a web portal for small business customers. Should keep everybody happy.

Starling Bank unveils online banking portal for SMEs - AltFi News

Comment

is there still a proper internet banking facility or is it JUST the app?
              Yes, the business account does now have online access (appears to be a new feature this month). You can use it to download statements and to manage payments etc. Online banking - Starling Bank

This is the clincher that made me sign up this week.

What is the killer feature?
              The killer features for me are:
              1. No Fees
              2. Real-time banking (including apparently near-real-time integration with FreeAgent).
              Last edited by zcapr17; 27 September 2019, 16:20.

Comment

Be aware that Tide doesn't run on jailbroken phones. That ruled things out for me.

Clydesdale/Yorkshire, TSB have been nice and easy for me and run on all devices.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I'm very close to making the jump on this. Has anyone used Xero with Starling? Is their integration with Xero good? Anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                    I'm very close to making the jump on this. Has anyone used Xero with Starling? Is their integration with Xero good? Anyone know?
                    Can't comment on Xero but the FreeAgent integration works very smoothly. Transactions show up instantly.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
                      Can't comment on Xero but the FreeAgent integration works very smoothly. Transactions show up instantly.
                      Yes, I already read that.

If the Xero integration is a dog the fact that it's phenomenal for FA will just make me even more unhappy. And nothing else about the bank will matter to me if it means more accounting hassles, so the Xero thing is make or break for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X