• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who's good for easy business banking these days?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another bank I'm keeping my eye on (well, acutally I've opened a business account with them as a backup): mettle

- Free banking
    - Curently lets you have a balance of up to £100k, but I tend to shift my balance into a savings account anyway
    - Part of NatWest
    Last edited by Spoiler; 11 October 2019, 18:23.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      If Barclays goes out of business, are you protected by FSCS, or not? Is the money in a Barclays account in your name, or in Coconut's? Is £85K of your money protected, or £85K of Coconut's (spread across all their account holders, meaning effectively nothing)?
      It says

In the unlikely event that Coconut or our payments provider PPS, which is owned by Mastercard, went out of business, your money is only accessible by you."
      Which to me sounds like the money for each individual account is secure? I don't think they would get away with lying about it?

Originally posted by sal View Post
      So not a proper bank - hard pass. Although I can see the value in it for people that don't use accountant that offers FA/Xero.
      What is the risk of coconut? I don't keep a lot of money in my coconut account (less than £10k atm). But interested if I should look for a different alternative.

Comment

Originally posted by genius View Post
        Which to me sounds like the money for each individual account is secure? I don't think they would get away with lying about it?
        Oh, they aren't lying. They also aren't telling you what happens if Barclays goes out of business, are they?

If any group like this has anyone with brains behind it, they will be telling you that your funds are protected to £85K by FSCS. They will say so very, very specifically. They aren't telling you that. So either they are idiots or your funds aren't protected to £85K by FSCS. I'll opt for the latter, they aren't idiots.

If Barclays goes under, you'll lose your money. Yes, it is probably safe if Coconut goes under. Barclays would never fail, of course. No banks ever do, right?

I can't see using it at all, but if I did, I certainly wouldn't be leaving much money in it.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperLooper View Post
          You may as well just sign up and give it a try then; you've got nothing to lose, and you obviously don't need to switch away from your existing bank if you're not completely happy. You could well be the first person on these forums to try out the Starling/Xero integration, so please report back.
          Starling / Xero integration appears to be working like a dream, FWIW.

A little bit of a pain getting all the payees sorted out, they didn't come over very cleanly in the transfer from our prior bank. Looks like all direct debits came over ok. So far, pretty happy with this.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            Starling / Xero integration appears to be working like a dream, FWIW.

A little bit of a pain getting all the payees sorted out, they didn't come over very cleanly in the transfer from our prior bank. Looks like all direct debits came over ok. So far, pretty happy with this.
            Nice. Thanks for reporting back.

Comment

I've recently moved from Cater Allen to Starling for my business current account. The move process was all manual as dinosaur CA don't support CASS (current account switching service) so that was a bit of a pain. All done now though and Starling is great, near-instantaneous integration with Freeagent, instant faster payments, app notification of account credits. All good.

Comment

Working...
              X