• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Up t date data on buying a electric company car for BIK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be fair to gooddayall he has got something of a point. It's arguably a bit tin hat but it's there. Statements about electric cars not giving out EMF mentioned are completely wrong though. Oddly enough it does look like something that might be bubbling away in the background...

Electromagnetic Radiation Safety: Hybrid & Electric Cars: Electromagnetic Radiation Risks

That said there are some fairly solid conclusions here. Near the bottom one test says an average hybrid gives off 2-4 mG compared to personal computers 2 to 20 mG, electric blankets 5 to 30 mG, and a hair dryer 10 to 70 mG. Full electric appears to be 14-30 mG.

But.. Further down it states..

“The Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) recommends a limit of 1,000 mG (milligauss) for a 24 hour exposure period. While other guidelines pose similar limits, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) deemed extended exposure to electromagnetic fields stronger than 2 mG to be a “possible cause” for cancer.
    For now it appears not to be a risk as the car will run out before you are exposed to that but you've got to wonder what the future holds.

The very bottom paragraph talks about no set limits or standards for testing so I would take a guess as the power and range of the batteries increases this will be looked at.

So gooddayall kinda has a point(ish)
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Any health risk from electric car EMF emissions is utterly minuscule compared to the well-documented and devastating health impact of internal combustion emissions.

If I'm sat in my electric car, the fumes from the diesel car in front of me are killing me thousands of times more quickly than the spooky battery waves under my seat.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Statements about electric cars not giving out EMF mentioned are completely wrong though.
        The point was that batteries don't give off EMF. The motors will but not much.
        And that OP sells something he doesn't understand, but that's common enough everywhere.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          And that OP sells something he doesn't understand, but that's common enough everywhere.
          I disagree, he knows exactly what he is selling: FUD.

Comment

Working...
          X