• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sacked Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    That was why the law changed in 2011 so you have to be permie 2 years before you get full employment rights.

Mind you, I got the push from JPM in 2015. They had begged me for months to return from a hedge fund and finally offered so much I could not resist. They then sacked me 18 months later - but still gave me 8 weeks notice gardening leave and 3 months pay out. I went straight into a (very lucrative) contract and was very nervous about doing a contract while on gardening leave - but no employer ever seems to have queried it.

Sometimes you hate change, but its the best thing to happen to you!

As jobbing contractor all my live, I've never been permie, embracing change has grown on me it's the future !

Comment

What NLUK said.

You should be pushing for more money as it appears they are trying to not pay your notice period. I think you can also get a monetary amount for your benefits/hols etc for your notice period.

Comment

Originally posted by Cntxy81 View Post
        Please give me some advice.
        An old oil company I worked staff for had a habit of doing this. They binned 4 or 5 guys over a period of a few weeks for "underperformance". They would give them 6 months pay plus a separate line item of £500 "to seek legal advice". Only one (to my knowledge) sought the legal advice - the rest just pocketed the £500. I was quite friendly with the one that did. He told me the lawyer said:

"Yes you were unfairly dismissed. Yes you will win at a tribunal. The award will be around six months pay. That will be £500 please"

Comment

Originally posted by sludgesurfer View Post
          An old oil company I worked staff for had a habit of doing this. They binned 4 or 5 guys over a period of a few weeks for "underperformance". They would give them 6 months pay plus a separate line item of £500 "to seek legal advice". Only one (to my knowledge) sought the legal advice - the rest just pocketed the £500. I was quite friendly with the one that did. He told me the lawyer said:

"Yes you were unfairly dismissed. Yes you will win at a tribunal. The award will be around six months pay. That will be £500 please"
          JPM give a lawyer £500 to give you legal advice. Who then tell you that you have no claim.....

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Take the money. Find a new job.
            This.

Comment

I'd suggest to seek legal advice. They'll hear you out for free (not for long mid) and give you an indication of likelehood.
              Ring a few different firms for balance.

Forget the no-win no-fee cowboys. Proper firms will likely do you for a fixed fee.
              This will involve them writing some letters until the employer coughs up a sensible amount of money (as NLUK says) at which point you settle.... Under no circumstances allow it to go to court. If it goes to court it's because the firm have a very good chance of winning. Letters are that are needed to get you more money.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

They need to pay you redundancy and your notice. And if there is any equivalent job titles at your company everyone needs to be considered for redundancy. The alternative is that they need to arrange a compromise agreement with you which you both need to sign.

Comment

Payment in lieu of notice (PILON) is not considered a redundancy payment and is taxable.

If you are being made redundant, you should get at least min statutory redundancy (tax free) as well as the PILON.

ACAS offer free and informed advice, so give them a call.

Disclaimer : 10 years since I dealt with this stuff, so may have changed.

Comment

Sounds like a good offer of about 5m net pay, I would take it and move on. But I'm a contractor and in my early permie days have never been sacked so don't have a "life lesson"/experience to share.

There is zero chance you get the job back, even if it was would you go into what will be a toxic environment? If you are unhappy with the sum offered - seek legal advise. Check if you have legal cover with your home insurance for example or free legal advise with something else (RAC offer it for free with their breakdown cover for example). I would think very hard before going to a no-win-no-fee solicitors, their fees will easily eat up any extra cash you manage to claw on top of what's already on the table.

Comment

Happened to me years ago. Had a meeting got informed of an allegation from a customer and I was being suspended. Alarm bells started ringing when they said at the end "if you sign this compromise agreement, leave quietly, we'll pay you xyz".

Thing is the "complaint" was a bit crap too. I'd done far worse than this in the past! Anyway, turns out they'd decided to "investigate" 3 other people that day too - funny that.

I had a friend of a friend at the time who was a top HR/employment law person. They basically said, this sort of thing is VERY common - companies do this because its easier than doing the proper redundancy thing and quicker.

Alas, they also said, its not really worth fighting because you're not going to gain a lot, and companies know this. However, this person did help me screw them for a lot more of a payout.

My ex-employer were REALLY annoyed about it apparently - I remember visiting to hand back my laptop etc and the HR guy decided to come out and have a go at me that I'd got this "hot shot lawyer to threaten them". I just shrugged thinking "hang on you decided to go this route".

Was well pleased to hear the MD got investigated for fiddling government grants a year or so later and the company went bust.
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X