• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35: Planning for April 2021 – should I stay or should I go?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jorgelorenzo View Post
    Anyone understand how working for other clients effects the ruling?

Thanks in advance.
    Very little. IR35 applies to each contract separately. Having concurrent clients is an indicator of being in business on your own account, but that applies only at the margins, once the main criteria have been applied to the specific contract in question. I’m not sure what the weighting will be in CEST, but it will be extremely low relative to other factors, such as substitution and control. Also there is no particular formula for the number of clients or their contribution to your turnover or anything like that. In your case, it will most likely make no difference at all.

Comment

Know a few contractors who were burned by following advice of this thread treated as gospel before anything concrete was announced, so glad I stayed in my contract till end of March. Shame some fellow contractors losing out on a month or so invoices.

Moral is don't listen to the clueless posters here who clearly have an agenda. Get en extension before April as long as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
        before anything concrete was announced

There is still nothing "concrete".

Where is the final legislation?

I expect this thread has saved a lot of people from some very stupid decisions too.

Comment

IR35: Planning for April 2020 – should I stay or should I go?

Know a few contractors who were burned by following advice of this thread treated as gospel before anything concrete was announced, so glad I stayed in my contract till end of March. Shame some fellow contractors losing out on a month or so invoices.

Moral is don't listen to the clueless posters here who clearly have an agenda. Get en extension before April as long as possible.
          This thread provides awareness, not advice.

HMRC moved the goal posts only last week.

Those contractors are obviously more risk averse than you are.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

More fool them to be frank. The limitations of what was being said was clear. All comes down to how much risk someone wanted to personally take and responsibility for their own choices.
            Last edited by dx4100; 11 February 2020, 15:05.

Comment

"Get en extension before April as long as possible."

Do what now?
              How is this going to help anyone?

Stop being lazy and reading lazy journalism. Make sure YOU understand the changes coming first, before spouting off such crap advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

Do what now?

Stop being lazy and reading lazy journalism. Make sure YOU understand the changes coming first, before spouting off such crap advice.
                I suspect he was being sarcastic but it's impossible at times to tell.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

Do what now?

I think he was just saying that if you have the opportunity to extend up to the 5th of April, you should strongly consider it.

Comment

I will have been in my current contract for 15 months by the end of March. I have calculated that the potential tax bill, if I am collared for IR35 for this period, would be roughly £1000 per month.

Therefore, if I continue with the client and roll into an inside IR35 arrangement from April, my risk is around £15k of back-tax.

I am willing to take this risk. Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thanks for any input.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                      More fool them to be frank. The limitations of what was being said was clear. All comes down to how much risk someone wanted to personally take and responsibility for their own choices.
                      If you were paid monthly, you would have to bring your contract to an end with the client to stop payment after the 6th April. I am paid weekly, so no drama. It's not the monthly paid guys fault that HMRC moved the goal post at the 11th hour.

Comment

Working...
                      X