• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Switzerland take home

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switzerland take home

Just wanting somebody to check my assumptions on this. I'm up for a role in Geneva. Because I'll be a uk resident for tax purposes I'll essentially have to pay tax at uk levels. So in geneva I'll see about 35% of the total after fees and taxes from the management company. However as the actual tax element of this is about 25% I'll be looking at making up the difference with HMRC. As I'll be almost at the 40% bracket due to the amount I've drawn from my company already this year,, this means I'll be having to stump up about 15% to make up the difference. So overall I'll be losing half to taxes and fees between Switzerland and here. That's not even considering medical insurance fees and expenses.

So if the rate is 900chf, that'll be 450chf after taxes. So for a 20 day month that's 9k chf or about £7.5k so assuming 2k in expenses it's suddenly down to 5.5k per month.

Is there anything I've missed and should be aware of?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Contractor UK Forum mobile app
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

900CHF is just about enough to make a profit.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
      Just wanting somebody to check my assumptions on this. I'm up for a role in Geneva. Because I'll be a uk resident for tax purposes I'll essentially have to pay tax at uk levels. So in geneva I'll see about 35% of the total after fees and taxes from the management company. However as the actual tax element of this is about 25% I'll be looking at making up the difference with HMRC. As I'll be almost at the 40% bracket due to the amount I've drawn from my company already this year,, this means I'll be having to stump up about 15% to make up the difference. So overall I'll be losing half to taxes and fees between Switzerland and here. That's not even considering medical insurance fees and expenses.

So if the rate is 900chf, that'll be 450chf after taxes. So for a 20 day month that's 9k chf or about £7.5k so assuming 2k in expenses it's suddenly down to 5.5k per month.

Is there anything I've missed and should be aware of?

Cost of living can be very steep in Switzerland, make sure you budget for a realistic amount for expenses. I remember on my first day in Basel getting the equivalent of a supermarket lunch meal deal which would be £3-4 in the UK and it was about £14.

Comment

Cheers for the comments. Can anybody confirm my thinking on the tax front. My guess, from a bit of reading round is that while I stand to lose about 35% in Switzerland, only 25% will be due to tax and HMRC will expect the missing 15%. Meaning that it would be taxed at 50% or there abouts

Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Seems about right.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

how long will you be in Geneva? if you're there long enough, you'll be tax resident there.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              how long will you be in Geneva? if you're there long enough, you'll be tax resident there.
              Not long enough - it would only be 6 months and I'd be returning each weekend and doing day from home

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                Not long enough - it would only be 6 months and I'd be returning each weekend and doing day from home
                ah, ok, my apologies.

Comment

Working...
                X