• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 investigations in 2020/21

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    That's a risk but IMO not a high one. You can argue it in the tax tribunal that the client was just risk averse, but if that was their view you weren't going to provide your services to them any longer. If they want a disguised permie they can hire one but you aren't one.

And as noted above, there are likely other higher priority targets for HMRC to chase.
    Until they have gone down every rabbit hole and get bored....

Comment

Originally posted by CompoundOverload View Post
      Until they have gone down every rabbit hole and get bored....
      Right. I think under that scenario you're pretty far from the centre of the warren and in a really deep hole. They don't have that many IR35 teams and the clock will be running. There clearly is more risk than if you leave before the determination, though.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        That would be the intelligent thing to do. There is no reason for them to make determinations on any contract that ends before April. Contracts that go past April will need determinations probably in February, early if they are renewals and the contractor won't renew without an outside determination.

This seems a reasonable guess. Although the one you have second could be their top priority. They will certainly want to go after any client which they deem is making too many outside determinations, if they can take a couple high profile scalps they'll be scaring everyone into blanket inside determinations.
        They also run the very real risk of losing at tribuneral and loosing the scare tactics, there track record is pretty poor. No doubt there will be the usual blanket email to all client's trying to scare a switch. I think the priority is pretty correct.
        Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
          HMRC would communicate with the client if an enquiry was opened to ascertain the facts around working practices once they open an enquiry. They don't need the client to grass you up for HMRC to open an enquiry.
          I would imagine that the client would say to HMRC that it was the contractors problem, and they’re not interested in getting involved.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            I would imagine that the client would say to HMRC that it was the contractors problem, and they’re not interested in getting involved.
            That's never happened in the cases that have been to court so doubt it.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Re your point below:

Final point is that I only see it as a risk if you get an inside determination and stay. I can't see HMRC gathering information on people who were outside, told they would be inside and then left - there'll be too many other, better, targets.

When you say get an "inside determination and stay". Do you mean an inside determination pre April 2020 and stay post April?

What if you get a determination that is inside in November but stay until end of December and leave?
              I mean getting any formal SDS and staying after that. If you have a chat with the client and they say 'it's looking this way' and you leave then it's more difficult for HMRC to make a case.

But I think the easiesr mechanism to get info is from RTI post April so in your example the risk is higher than if you left pre SDS but lower than if you stayed and were paid PAYE.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplianceLady View Post
                I mean getting any formal SDS and staying after that. If you have a chat with the client and they say 'it's looking this way' and you leave then it's more difficult for HMRC to make a case.

But I think the easiesr mechanism to get info is from RTI post April so in your example the risk is higher than if you left pre SDS but lower than if you stayed and were paid PAYE.
                I spoke with the client and they are unable to give me any indication as to how it's looking, which isn't ideal.

They are going to tell me 2nd week of November as to what the determination will be. I leave at the end of December anyway, so worst case, if they did decide I was "in scope" then I will be leaving 4/5 weeks after that decision has been made anyway.

So i guess my question is, what should i do, wait for the decision and leave if it's inside (as i do not agree with it) or be very risk averse and hand notice in now so that I won't be there when the communication is sent around as to what my determination will be.

However, surely the fact that i am on their radar now and they are doing an assessment on me means that even if I left before the announcement they would have made a determination on me regardless?

Comment

I spoke with the client and they are unable to give me any indication as to how it's looking, which isn't ideal.

They are going to tell me 2nd week of November as to what the determination will be. I leave at the end of December anyway, so worst case, if they did decide I was "in scope" then I will be leaving 4/5 weeks after that decision has been made anyway.

So i guess my question is, what should i do, wait for the decision and leave if it's inside (as i do not agree with it) or be very risk averse and hand notice in now so that I won't be there when the communication is sent around as to what my determination will be.

However, surely the fact that i am on their radar now and they are doing an assessment on me means that even if I left before the announcement they would have made a determination on me regardless?
                  Really CompoundOverload, you have asked for advice and it's been given to you (along with people's suggestions as to what they would do).

You have everything that you're going to get - it is now up to you to be the business person that you are and make the informed decision yourself.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

/thread
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                      People would never go contracting at an old employer (Friday-Monday switch) but are seriously considering staying on at existing clients. Mental.
                      It’s insane but some people are oblivious to the risk and plan just to carry on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X