• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Voluntary Liquidation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voluntary Liquidation

First of all, apologies if i'm not following the correct protocol in posting here. I'm new to the site, but I have skimmed through to see if my question has already been answered and can't find anything.

I work in IT and set up a Ltd company about 15 months ago on advice of a "recruitment consultant", as a tax efficient way of working. I looked into it and came across the IR35 rules, and my understanding was that I fell inside these rules and should be paying PAYE. So I chose not to go down that route. My company still exists, however about a month ago I downloaded a form from Companies House for "voluntary striking off" and posted it off.

Since then, I have looked into it further and apparently I should have filed accounts and a zero corporation tax return with HMRC first. I did receive a CT603 form but ignored it at the time...

What should I do? If I let the company wind up, will HMRC come after me later on? Or will they stop the process in its tracks before winding up is confirmed?

Sorry for the many questions, but as you can imagine i'm a little concerned!

Originally posted by pastybap View Post

What should I do?
    The first choice you have to make is whether to speak to an accountant, or trust some random people on the internet.

No-one here can tell you what HMRC might do, although if you never put any money through the company, I can't see that you've done anything wrong (in the moral sense).

Have you read this?

CT603: What contractors should note about this HMRC notice
    Last edited by Paralytic; 6 October 2019, 18:45.

Comment

So just to check, no income has ever gone into your Ltd Co (either from a client, or you putting personal money into a company bank account)?

If so, I'd suggest just Googling "DS01", and following the instructions to submit that.

Going forwards, don't rely on a recruitment consultant for accounting/tax advice!

Comment

Working...
      X