• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Larsen Howie vs QDOS vs IPSE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larsen Howie vs QDOS vs IPSE

I've taken a look at all three of these in terms of IR35 insurance - Larsen Howie / QDOS / IPSE

Interested to hear your experience of them and which is the best in your personal opinion (i.e. not because you get commission to push them).
    Unsure about IPSE given comments on the forum...

I have used QDOS for a few years and highly recommend them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hensy View Post
      I've taken a look at all three of these in terms of IR35 insurance - Larsen Howie / QDOS / IPSE

Interested to hear your experience of them and which is the best in your personal opinion (i.e. not because you get commission to push them).
      Unsure about IPSE given comments on the forum...
      I'm interested to.

I have IPSE as the insurance goes beyond IR35, but includes agency failure, jury service etc and some of the cash goes to lobbying the government. As far as I know their insurance product has not been called into question but their strategy around lobbying has.

Larsen Howie v QDOS insure against both investigation and tax. Take a look at the T&C's between the two especially the tax repayment insurance as from what I can see Larsen Howie has a lower insurance amount but less stringent requirements than QDOS.

For basic investigation cover all three work well. Larsen Howie appears to have been setup in 2015 by a team who left QDOS. Personally I'm sticking with IPSE for the next year, but will review that decision after the dust has settled with the IR35 2020 changes and what their new strategy is.
      Last edited by BlueSharp; 10 October 2019, 08:54.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

If you use IPSE then you probably are looking at using Merkel Tax (formerly Abbey Tax) for your contract reviews and tax insurance.

I use IPSE and Merkel tax for a combination of investigation insurance, contract reviews and tax insurance. It’s a good service but bloody expensive if you want a same day review. I find it the most comprehensive coverage vs QDOS who don’t look at working practices by default etc.

What I will say is moving between the two further down the line isn’t straight forward.

If I was starting out again I would probably go for QDOS though.
        Last edited by dx4100; 10 October 2019, 09:04.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          If you use IPSE then you probably are looking at using Merkel Tax (formerly Abbey Tax) for your contract reviews and tax insurance.

I use IPSE and Merkel tax for a combination of investigation insurance, contract reviews and tax insurance. It’s a good service but bloody expensive if you want a same day review. I find it the most comprehensive coverage vs QDOS who don’t look at working practices by default etc.

What I will say is moving between the two further down the line isn’t straight forward.

If I was starting out again I would probably go for QDOS though.
          Why is it not straight forward?
          Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
            Why is it not straight forward?
            I was about to write something but now questioning my own logic...

If your previous contracts are insured by Abbey/Merkel Tax you have to maintain investigation insurance to keep the tax loss insurance valid.

I took a presumption this had to be IPSE investigation insurance but thinking about it I presume QDOS investigation insurance would also fulfil that requirement ?

So actually switching between the two probably isn’t all that hard.

I have emailed them to ask them the question as their application form states:

As an IPSEPlus member you have the necessary PEI in place as part of your membership. If you cease to be an IPSEPlus member, this will invalidate your Survive35 TaxSafe cover.

If you fail to maintain your PEI, this will invalidate your Survive35 TaxSafe Cover.
            Last edited by dx4100; 10 October 2019, 09:15.

Comment

To find the best you'll need feedback from someone thats actually had to claim from all of them which isn't going to happen.

Just go QDOS and stop fretting.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                To find the best you'll need feedback from someone thats actually had to claim from all of them which isn't going to happen.

As anyone on here had to actually claim from any of them ?
                Last edited by dx4100; 10 October 2019, 09:57.

Comment

I’ve switched to QDOS

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It's this blasé attitude that gives QDOS a 51% profit margin!

Qdos Group Posts 51% Margin, Plus GBP7.1m Profits for 2017 - Insurance Edge

Always good to keep checking the alternatives, else we create a monopoly

Comment

Working...
                    X