• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Air BnB

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air BnB

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of contracting (one week in!) and while I have so far been okay navigating the rather confusing world of tax I have a question on expenses and specifically air bnb/hotels.

I am working remotely from home most of the time but will need to stay in London, usually for a few days per month. This month I chose an air bnb as it seemed the best option, but when I'm looking at my expenses now I can only get a VAT receipt for the actual service charged by air bnb - is that right? I thought the whole booking would have VAT applied.

If not, is this the case for hotels too? (And would I just be better booking a hotel in future for the sake of claiming back VAT?)

Any suggestions would be great... isn't tax fun!?

[For further context: the booking was about £180 and the air bnb charge was £24 - so very little VAT on that]

It's unlikely the person renting out their home is VAT registered so are not in a position to give you a VAT invoice. Air BnB are only providing an introduction service and that element is a vatable supply.

IANAA

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      It's unlikely the person renting out their home is VAT registered so are not in a position to give you a VAT invoice. Air BnB are only providing an introduction service and that element is a vatable supply.

IANAA
      Thanks very much for your response!

Comment

Originally posted by JessMatt View Post
        Hi all,

I'm new to the world of contracting (one week in!) and while I have so far been okay navigating the rather confusing world of tax I have a question on expenses and specifically air bnb/hotels.

I am working remotely from home most of the time but will need to stay in London, usually for a few days per month. This month I chose an air bnb as it seemed the best option, but when I'm looking at my expenses now I can only get a VAT receipt for the actual service charged by air bnb - is that right? I thought the whole booking would have VAT applied.

If not, is this the case for hotels too? (And would I just be better booking a hotel in future for the sake of claiming back VAT?)

Any suggestions would be great... isn't tax fun!?

[For further context: the booking was about £180 and the air bnb charge was £24 - so very little VAT on that]
        Don’t let the tax trail wag the dog...
        Air bnb is very little VAT as you’ve noticed. They might still be more cost effective though.

Hotels do charge VAT (except for a no show, which means you get charged more for a no show than actually arriving and crapping in the bed.....)

You’ll soon find out that trains don’t charge VAT, nor do airlines.

Although if you’re new, why aren’t you on flat rate vat???

<nluk mode>do you have an accountant?</off>
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Don’t let the tax trail wag the dog...
          Air bnb is very little VAT as you’ve noticed. They might still be more cost effective though.

Hotels do charge VAT (except for a no show, which means you get charged more for a no show than actually arriving and crapping in the bed.....)

You’ll soon find out that trains don’t charge VAT, nor do airlines.

Although if you’re new, why aren’t you on flat rate vat???

<nluk mode>do you have an accountant?</off>
          Thanks for the reply, that does make sense. I have a meeting with an accountant next week, but am just keen to get ahead of the game and it irritates me not being able to understand it all

Comment

Go flat rate vat and forget worrying about such trivial matters as the £2k you save per year will more than make up for it

Also remember - no expenses if your contact is inside IR35

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Go flat rate vat and forget worrying about such trivial matters as the £2k you save per year will more than make up for it

Also remember - no expenses if your contact is inside IR35

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              Sounds like the flat rate is the way to go - cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by JessMatt View Post
                Sounds like the flat rate is the way to go - cheers!
                people querying why you aren't on flat rate is very different to suggesting you should change to flat rate.
                Discuss with your accountant.
                Everyone I know who has been on flat rate did it right at the beginning. I've never known anyone change to it and I'm not sure if you can change to it and get the 1% discount. If you can't get that discount then just don't bother.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                X