• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Challenging IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenging IR35

Hi

Please can anybody advise whether the new IR35 ruling which becomes law in April has been challenged in court by any organisation such as IPSE, QDOS, etc. I've not heard anything and find it strange that the Government have been allowed to do this without challenge. Contractors being treated like permanent staff members without holiday and sickness benefits seems a little inequitable to me! Or have I missed something?

thanks

MZFRFD

Originally posted by mzfrfd View Post
    Hi

Please can anybody advise whether the new IR35 ruling which becomes law in April has been challenged in court by any organisation such as IPSE, QDOS, etc. I've not heard anything and find it strange that the Government have been allowed to do this without challenge. Contractors being treated like permanent staff members without holiday and sickness benefits seems a little inequitable to me! Or have I missed something?

thanks

MZFRFD
    There have been and are ongoing cases where contractors found to be inside IR35 in the public sector are claiming various employee benefits, but these things take an inordinate amount of time. Not expecting news from the current one in the pipeline for several months yet.

Meet the woman who took on HMRC, and won | IPSE

Comment

Challenging IR35

Originally posted by mzfrfd View Post
      Hi

thanks

MZFRFD
      The only thing that is changing is who makes the determination. And as a consequence of that, who deducts the PAYE tax.

It will be challenged after the budget, when the finance bill goes to parliament. The government have done nothing so far other than consult and talk.

Fairness is not a concern for parliament (they care about voters), HMRC, or the law.

The only thing you’ve missed is this is how the world works.
      At the end of the day, it’s still a market and market forces will determine how this pans out over the course of 2020.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
      X