Intercompany Loan SPV Intercompany Loan SPV
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    115

    Default Intercompany Loan SPV

    Afternoon Guys,

    I'm looking at the most tax efficient way to use Contract Company surplus funds to generate additional cashflow & future investments.

    What i'm considering is using my Contractor Co Limited Surplus funds (120k) and create an intercompany loan with a newly create SPV Limited Company.
    Within this i will use the cash to purchase 2 or 3 houses via the SPV and use the positive cashflow to repay the intercompany loan with interest (along with paying in personal funds to the SPV over the period to repay back sooner)

    Has anyone done this already ? And what rate did you charge on the intercompany loan ? from doing some research if i where to do the above i can say bye bye to and ER relief in the future if i decided to close down the contracting business.

    TIA

  2. #2

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Why not keep it simple and reclassify the ltd as a property investment company and just buy the properties in it with the money already there.

    You just change the sic codes and other bits that your accountant can do for you.

    You also create a new ltd to carry on contracting through.

  3. #3

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddie1507 View Post
    Afternoon Guys,

    I'm looking at the most tax efficient way to use Contract Company surplus funds to generate additional cashflow & future investments.

    What i'm considering is using my Contractor Co Limited Surplus funds (120k) and create an intercompany loan with a newly create SPV Limited Company.
    Within this i will use the cash to purchase 2 or 3 houses via the SPV and use the positive cashflow to repay the intercompany loan with interest (along with paying in personal funds to the SPV over the period to repay back sooner)

    Has anyone done this already ? And what rate did you charge on the intercompany loan ? from doing some research if i where to do the above i can say bye bye to and ER relief in the future if i decided to close down the contracting business.

    TIA
    This works well. But there is no need to charge interest and it is tax neutral so I wouldn't bother.

  4. #4

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoanCharged View Post
    Why not keep it simple and reclassify the ltd as a property investment company and just buy the properties in it with the money already there.

    You just change the sic codes and other bits that your accountant can do for you.

    You also create a new ltd to carry on contracting through.

    I haven't considered this option thanks for the info ! I will speak to the accountants to see the feasibility on this.

  5. #5

    Godlike

    ChimpMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Here There and Everywhere
    Posts
    5,556

    Default

    I have done this.

    It's common and easy enough, but make sure you have an accountant that knows what he is doing.

    You don't need to charge interest.

    You don't need to make (regular) repayments. You can repay whenever it suits. There is no s455 on intercompany loans.

  6. #6

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    I have done this.

    It's common and easy enough, but make sure you have an accountant that knows what he is doing.

    You don't need to charge interest.

    You don't need to make (regular) repayments. You can repay whenever it suits. There is no s455 on intercompany loans.

    Thanks ! Is there a limit on the amount of money which can be borrow to the SPV Company ? (Obviously still keeping the Contracting Company Solvent)

  7. #7

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    700

    Default

    You could make the SPV a shareholder of your current PSC, pay a dividend to that SPV and there's no CT consequence.

  8. #8

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells
    Posts
    1,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    It's common and easy enough, but make sure you have an accountant that knows what he is doing.
    This. It is an area of growing popularity (personally I'm not convinced it's the best idea, but appreciate it's not clear cut either way). However, because of the increased popularity, it can be a bit of a bandwagon for accountants to jump on. I worry some of those simply won't have the knowledge, and the client likely won't know until a few years later when HMRC point out something's done totally wrong. This is not me pitching for business, we decided it wasn't a market we wanted to get involved with...but please, if your existing accountant says "yeah, I'll give that a go", seriously consider whether you should stick with them for this purpose.

  9. #9

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddie1507 View Post
    Afternoon Guys,


    What i'm considering is using my Contractor Co Limited Surplus funds (120k) and create an intercompany loan with a newly create SPV Limited Company.
    Within this i will use the cash to purchase 2 or 3 houses via the SPV
    Sorry how can you purchase 2 or 3 hourses with 120K??

  10. #10

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SandyD View Post
    Sorry how can you purchase 2 or 3 hourses with 120K??
    Presumably using the £120k as deposits for BTL mortgages (though if that's the case OP, be aware that there are a lot of fewer limited company BTL mortgage lenders, and processes for getting a mortgage could be a lot messier - get yourself a good broker!).

    Alternatively, maybe he's buying in really cheap parts of the country - recently been contracting in the Northeast and it's amazing how cheap properties are compared to even the Midlands - much less London/SE.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •