• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That's it should I walk away?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, you took money out of your company that should have been left in it to pay the Corporation Tax. You've spent that money one way or another.

So, apparently, you issued illegal dividends to yourself. Is that right?

Your company is now insolvent. So HMRC will hold you personally liable for that CT, since you took the money that should have been held to pay it as dividends. It may be they will even try to recover some of it from your ex, if she has some of that money, on the grounds that you didn't really have the money and it shouldn't have gone to her. Bankruptcy for your company isn't going to solve this, you'll have to go bankrupt yourself as well.

You can't blame this on IR35. The new law hasn't even taken effect yet. You are the one who decided to take the money out of the company rather than use it to pay the CT. Neither IR35 nor your ex forced you to do that.

Since it is CT, you've been operating outside IR35. That means the tax level was not excessive. We all have to pay that tax, and when some don't it means more taxes or poorer services for everyone else.

One year's CT is not going to be that much as to be unpayable. If you had £100K profit, it's £19K. If you had that much profit you should be able to get a perm/brolly role that pays £60K or so. Tighten your belt, work, and pay the debt.

I'm very sorry to hear about the divorce and the loss of all assets but I don't think that justifies taking illegal dividends to defraud the Exchequer (and thus society as a whole), and then filing bankruptcy to avoid the consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      So, you took money out of your company that should have been left in it to pay the Corporation Tax. You've spent that money one way or another.

So, apparently, you issued illegal dividends to yourself. Is that right?

Your company is now insolvent. So HMRC will hold you personally liable for that CT, since you took the money that should have been held to pay it as dividends. It may be they will even try to recover some of it from your ex, if she has some of that money, on the grounds that you didn't really have the money and it shouldn't have gone to her. Bankruptcy for your company isn't going to solve this, you'll have to go bankrupt yourself as well.

You can't blame this on IR35. The new law hasn't even taken effect yet. You are the one who decided to take the money out of the company rather than use it to pay the CT. Neither IR35 nor your ex forced you to do that.

Since it is CT, you've been operating outside IR35. That means the tax level was not excessive. We all have to pay that tax, and when some don't it means more taxes or poorer services for everyone else.

One year's CT is not going to be that much as to be unpayable. If you had £100K profit, it's £19K. If you had that much profit you should be able to get a perm/brolly role that pays £60K or so. Tighten your belt, work, and pay the debt.

I'm very sorry to hear about the divorce and the loss of all assets but I don't think that justifies taking illegal dividends to defraud the Exchequer (and thus society as a whole), and then filing bankruptcy to avoid the consequences.
      What is business if you can't work to it's advantages, what do we do it for? If you had overheads what would you do? The law is changing and this is a last result.

Comment

Originally posted by Mearcat View Post
        What is business if you can't work to it's advantages, what do we do it for? If you had overheads what would you do? The law is changing and this is a last result.
        Work to its advantages, yes. Break the law and then run to bankruptcy, no, that's not business. I have overheads, I have employees. That doesn't give me the right to take money out of the company that is needed to pay my taxes.

No, this is not a result of the law changing, this is a result of you taking money out of the company illegally. The fact that the law changes next year and makes it harder for you to pay back what you took doesn't change the fact that you took it when you shouldn't have, either legally or morally.

If it is truly impossible for you to be a productive and contributing citizen without bankruptcy then you may have to do that. But stop blaming it on the change in the law, that's ridiculous.

How much debt are you talking about, how much of that is CT, and what was your daily rate as a contractor?

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
          Work to its advantages, yes. Break the law and then run to bankruptcy, no, that's not business. I have overheads, I have employees. That doesn't give me the right to take money out of the company that is needed to pay my taxes.

No, this is not a result of the law changing, this is a result of you taking money out of the company illegally. The fact that the law changes next year and makes it harder for you to pay back what you took doesn't change the fact that you took it when you shouldn't have, either legally or morally.

If it is truly impossible for you to be a productive and contributing citizen without bankruptcy then you may have to do that. But stop blaming it on the change in the law, that's ridiculous.

How much debt are you talking about, how much of that is CT, and what was your daily rate as a contractor?
          This is a scenario situation and how best to shut down a company most Tax efficiently.

Comment

This is a scenario situation and how best to shut down a company without paying lawful taxes, and getting away with it
            FTFY

Comment

It's most odd his lawyer didn't get all this sorted out. Also why is he left with nothing? Normally you would only have to 'share' up to 50%.

This all sounds very suspicious to me.
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                FTFY
                So you can do it then.

Comment

So you can do it then.
                  Sorry, everything i do is legal.
                  I'm not a greedy would be tax dodger.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    Sorry, everything i do is legal.
                    I'm not a greedy would be tax dodger.
                    Then maybe taking a full time job or paying PAYE if caught by IR35 is more up your street.

Comment

Then maybe taking a full time job or paying PAYE if caught by IR35 is more up your street.
                      No

Comment

Working...
                      X