Timesheet / billing for general availability in lieu of a current task? Timesheet / billing for general availability in lieu of a current task? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 27
  1. #11

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    40,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigrog View Post
    Thank you for your insightful reply. I guess I am looking to be "beyond reproach" if this gets audited. I have a pretty cushty arrangement, and the idea is to milk a cow; not kill it. That's the ethos i'm working to, anyway. Perhaps this is naiive.
    Perfectstorm is on the right track but 4 hours work for 8 hours pay is a bit beyond acceptable IMO. It's not naiive and you do right to question it in your situation. The client won't be happy at all if it comes under scrutiny so I'd be looking to some how up the hours. Doesn't have to be 8 on the dot but more than half a days work for sure.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  2. #12

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    21,219

    Default

    How many hours actual work would you do if you were in the office? Hint - it won't be 8.5 hours. If you spend 50% of your time on task A, 50% on task B, then it's 4 hours on each.

    You have to factor in "thinking time", coffee breaks, admin... I don't record anything in less that 2 hour chunks.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

  3. #13

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Perfectstorm is on the right track but 4 hours work for 8 hours pay is a bit beyond acceptable IMO. It's not naiive and you do right to question it in your situation. The client won't be happy at all if it comes under scrutiny so I'd be looking to some how up the hours. Doesn't have to be 8 on the dot but more than half a days work for sure.
    Thanks lad for your reply. My issue is not that i'm billing 8 but doing 4; it's more that i'm expected to do 8, but can only do 4, and therefore will only bill for 4.

    My original question was badly articulated - my bad.

  4. #14

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    How many hours actual work would you do if you were in the office? Hint - it won't be 8.5 hours. If you spend 50% of your time on task A, 50% on task B, then it's 4 hours on each.

    You have to factor in "thinking time", coffee breaks, admin... I don't record anything in less that 2 hour chunks.
    Hi NAT - this is a very good point. I've found myself accounting a task of 3 minutes, for example! Just not doable. In the office, i'll do much less work in much more time, for the very reasons you mentioned. Interestingly enough, i'm even getting a back ache sitting in the home office, as I just don't walk around as much as I did in the actual office itself.

    I'll decrease the resolution of the time chunks into extents of around 1 - 2 hours. Good call.

  5. #15

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Is the time logging on each task a client requirement?
    Hi Lady -- not an explicit requirement, but I am doing it to be beyond reproach. I converted from perm, and some ruffled feathers are already ruffling back in the office at the fact that I just double my salary, albeit out-going as I train my replacement.

  6. #16

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Do you log the time taken to log your time on the timesheet anywhere?
    I love this suggestion - based on recursion alone and compounding "interest", i'll fill up to 8.5 hours every day

  7. #17

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Time to speak to your client and clarify the situation.
    This is ultimately what I need(ed) to do, yea

  8. #18

    Super poster

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Do you log the time taken to log your time on the timesheet anywhere?
    This was actually a requirement in a company I was perm at back in the late '90's. The new online timesheet system was so awful that in order to track productivity lost on filling it in, they did ask people to log time spent filling in the timesheet. It was phased out after a while and the skivers were much upset.

  9. #19

    TykeLike

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    This was actually a requirement in a company I was perm at back in the late '90's. The new online timesheet system was so awful that in order to track productivity lost on filling it in, they did ask people to log time spent filling in the timesheet. It was phased out after a while and the skivers were much upset.
    I jest but I had a similar thing when a permie for West Yorkshire Police many years ago, once a year we have to track every 15 min period for two weeks
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  10. #20

    Contractor Among Contractors

    PerfectStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Yes, I have asked my accountant.
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    perfectstorm is on the right track but 4 hours work for 8 hours pay is a bit beyond acceptable imo.
    .
    YANCOTBAC


    Common practise in my experience.
    Last edited by PerfectStorm; 21st October 2019 at 18:27.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •