• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Timesheet / billing for general availability in lieu of a current task?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timesheet / billing for general availability in lieu of a current task?

Hey all,

Newbie here. Hard to articulate this question in the post title, but i'm working for a company remotely as a consultant, where they expect 8.5 hours out of me per day. I start a clock and record time spent on each task, but there are not enough tasks to "fill" the day. Needless to say, I don't fabricate tasks, so I am sometimes ending up with ~4 hours worth of actual "work done" per day.

Now my confusion: I am *still* sitting behind a desk for them, waiting for calls, tasks to drop out of the sky, etc. I'm synchronising my lunch hour with theirs, and general ensure i'm always online. Could I be (should I be?) charging a general availability / "standby" fee?

Many thanks for any advice

rog.

Is the time logging on each task a client requirement?

Comment

Do you log the time taken to log your time on the timesheet anywhere?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Time to speak to your client and clarify the situation.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          Is the time logging on each task a client requirement?
          Yes - I have to show where the time is being spent.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            Do you log the time taken to log your time on the timesheet anywhere?
            That sort of recursion will have me blow through the 8,5 hours in no time - problem solved!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Time to speak to your client and clarify the situation.
              You're right; I should just go straight to them - I guess i'm overly concerned with being scrutinised, as it's a decent rate.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

I made this mistake quite early on in my career thinking that people wanted timesheets completed with laser accuracy.

They don't. It's a finger in the air.

Roughly apportion the proportion of your day up and apply those ratios to the 8 hour day. You'll note that they probably also have told you that 12 hour days are also "8 hour days"

Literally everyone will be doing this, if they do it at all - there will be a great many 'difficult ones' who don't submit at all and you'll look like a A+ student compared to them.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

work at half speed.
                  4 hours becomes 8 hours....

even better. Pretend to work at half speed and get half your day back.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                    I made this mistake quite early on in my career thinking that people wanted timesheets completed with laser accuracy.

They don't. It's a finger in the air.

Roughly apportion the proportion of your day up and apply those ratios to the 8 hour day. You'll note that they probably also have told you that 12 hour days are also "8 hour days"

Literally everyone will be doing this, if they do it at all - there will be a great many 'difficult ones' who don't submit at all and you'll look like a A+ student compared to them.
                    Thank you for your insightful reply. I guess I am looking to be "beyond reproach" if this gets audited. I have a pretty cushty arrangement, and the idea is to milk a cow; not kill it. That's the ethos i'm working to, anyway. Perhaps this is naiive.

Comment

Working...
                    X