• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Timesheet / billing for general availability in lieu of a current task?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigrog View Post
    Thank you for your insightful reply. I guess I am looking to be "beyond reproach" if this gets audited. I have a pretty cushty arrangement, and the idea is to milk a cow; not kill it. That's the ethos i'm working to, anyway. Perhaps this is naiive.
    Perfectstorm is on the right track but 4 hours work for 8 hours pay is a bit beyond acceptable IMO. It's not naiive and you do right to question it in your situation. The client won't be happy at all if it comes under scrutiny so I'd be looking to some how up the hours. Doesn't have to be 8 on the dot but more than half a days work for sure.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How many hours actual work would you do if you were in the office? Hint - it won't be 8.5 hours. If you spend 50% of your time on task A, 50% on task B, then it's 4 hours on each.

You have to factor in "thinking time", coffee breaks, admin... I don't record anything in less that 2 hour chunks.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Perfectstorm is on the right track but 4 hours work for 8 hours pay is a bit beyond acceptable IMO. It's not naiive and you do right to question it in your situation. The client won't be happy at all if it comes under scrutiny so I'd be looking to some how up the hours. Doesn't have to be 8 on the dot but more than half a days work for sure.
        Thanks lad for your reply. My issue is not that i'm billing 8 but doing 4; it's more that i'm expected to do 8, but can only do 4, and therefore will only bill for 4.

My original question was badly articulated - my bad.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          How many hours actual work would you do if you were in the office? Hint - it won't be 8.5 hours. If you spend 50% of your time on task A, 50% on task B, then it's 4 hours on each.

You have to factor in "thinking time", coffee breaks, admin... I don't record anything in less that 2 hour chunks.
          Hi NAT - this is a very good point. I've found myself accounting a task of 3 minutes, for example! Just not doable. In the office, i'll do much less work in much more time, for the very reasons you mentioned. Interestingly enough, i'm even getting a back ache sitting in the home office, as I just don't walk around as much as I did in the actual office itself.

I'll decrease the resolution of the time chunks into extents of around 1 - 2 hours. Good call.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Is the time logging on each task a client requirement?
            Hi Lady -- not an explicit requirement, but I am doing it to be beyond reproach. I converted from perm, and some ruffled feathers are already ruffling back in the office at the fact that I just double my salary, albeit out-going as I train my replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              Do you log the time taken to log your time on the timesheet anywhere?
              I love this suggestion - based on recursion alone and compounding "interest", i'll fill up to 8.5 hours every day

Comment

Time to speak to your client and clarify the situation.
                This is ultimately what I need(ed) to do, yea

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Do you log the time taken to log your time on the timesheet anywhere?
                  This was actually a requirement in a company I was perm at back in the late '90's. The new online timesheet system was so awful that in order to track productivity lost on filling it in, they did ask people to log time spent filling in the timesheet. It was phased out after a while and the skivers were much upset.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    This was actually a requirement in a company I was perm at back in the late '90's. The new online timesheet system was so awful that in order to track productivity lost on filling it in, they did ask people to log time spent filling in the timesheet. It was phased out after a while and the skivers were much upset.
                    I jest but I had a similar thing when a permie for West Yorkshire Police many years ago, once a year we have to track every 15 min period for two weeks
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

perfectstorm is on the right track but 4 hours work for 8 hours pay is a bit beyond acceptable imo.
                      YANCOTBAC

Common practise in my experience.
                      Last edited by PerfectStorm; 21 October 2019, 18:27.
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X