Drug and Alcohol Testing Drug and Alcohol Testing - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 40

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I think I agree that it's an abide or leave situation - it's a shame but that is how it is.

That said, it definitely is a civil liberty issue. I have a right to privacy and I would rather choose to tell people that a don't take drugs rather than them demanding to find out. There is no reasonable justification for them to need to know this information about me. My brother is a surgeon and he doesn't have to undergo drug testing even though there would definitely be justification for that so why should a software developer need to reveal that information?
    Is it buggery. The definition of the term is..

the state of being subject only to laws established for the good of the community, especially with regard to freedom of action and speech.

"security measures can be taken without seriously compromising privacy and civil liberty"
    It's a decision made by an individual client to protect their work. Nothing to do with civil liberties.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Respect my authoritah!

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's a decision made by an individual client to protect their work. Nothing to do with civil liberties.
    If it's not justified, then it does. The OP hasn't revealed the nature of the client, but considers it to be less sensitive/high profile than a surgeon.

However, whether it does or doesn't is kind of immaterial - refusal will probably end with the same result.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    However, whether it does or doesn't is kind of immaterial - refusal will probably end with the same result.
    Sad but probably true unfortunately.

Should post faster

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    The question in short is, do I have to take the test?
    The short answer is no, you don't have to take the test.

How that will affect your contractual relationship, remains to be seen.

Nervous Newbie

Call me sceptical, but I think there could be more to you not wanting to do the test than just "your civil liberties".......

Still gathering requirements...

What would be fair is to ask for a rate increase to cover for days that usually would be on site but in these circumstances you might choose not too. Such as low levels of alcohol after a few drinks the previous evening.
    But you won’t get it.

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by FrankyFingers View Post
    Call me sceptical, but I think there could be more to you not wanting to do the test than just "your civil liberties".......
    No, there really is no more reason than that. I've pretty much resigned myself to having to take the test but I will be grumbling about it.

Nervous Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by GigiBronz View Post
    What would be fair is to ask for a rate increase to cover for days that usually would be on site but in these circumstances you might choose not too. Such as low levels of alcohol after a few drinks the previous evening.
    But you won’t get it.
    The testing isn't going to be daily so I don't think this'll be needed. Nice idea though.

Respect my authoritah!

Yep. He could have paruresis and be medically unable to pee while monitored.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

I live on CUK

Not everyone is a druggie drunk like you.

Some people never were and others grew tired of it.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR