• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drug and Alcohol Testing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drug and Alcohol Testing

Hi Everyone,

My current client has just introduced a workplace drug and alcohol testing policy and they seem to think that this can apply to me as a contractor. My view is that it shouldn't as it isn't included in any contract that I've signed.

Were I to take the test I'd pass so there's no worry there but I disagree with workplace testing for ethical reasons unless there is risk of harm so I'd rather not submit to the test. I also suspect the process (monitored urine sample to be taken) would be somewhat demeaning.

The question in short is, do I have to take the test?

You don't have to take the test. At best you will cast suspicion upon yourself. At worst, contract will be terminated.

Personally I would take the test.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep View Post
      Hi Everyone,

My current client has just introduced a workplace drug and alcohol testing policy and they seem to think that this can apply to me as a contractor. My view is that it shouldn't as it isn't included in any contract that I've signed.

Were I to take the test I'd pass so there's no worry there but I disagree with workplace testing for ethical reasons unless there is risk of harm so I'd rather not submit to the test. I also suspect the process (monitored urine sample to be taken) would be somewhat demeaning.

The question in short is, do I have to take the test?
      Suppose it depends on the role and your workplace, drug testing is the norm in high profile or sensitive gigs.

Politely explain to them that as a supplier you are happy to take the test, however can you reword the request so as to differentiate it from the permies
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Suppose it depends on the role and your workplace, drug testing is the norm in high profile or sensitive gigs.

Politely explain to them that as a supplier you are happy to take the test, however can you reword the request so as to differentiate it from the permies
        This sounds more anger inducing than not doing it at all

Compromise and give them a stool sample. It's one of those annoying things really that you may just have to take on the chin for a quiet life - after all, the contracting world isn't the ethical place to be generally.
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          Compromise and give them a stool sample. It's one of those annoying things really that you may just have to take on the chin for a quiet life - after all, the contracting world isn't the ethical place to be generally.
          I'm not sure a stool sample is a compromise - that sounds even worse!

As for the ethics, I guess it depends on where you draw the line - I'm happy with the debatable financial ethics of contracting but enforced drug and alcohol testing is a breach of civil liberties in my opinion. Whether I take drugs or not shouldn't matter so long as it doesn't affect my work. Nothing I do could cause harm to others - it'll just mean some software doesn't work or takes longer to write.

All that said, it seems that the consensus is that they can't legally require it of me but that they could just terminate the contract anyway as I'm not an employee. I'll just have to decide whether my principals on this are more important than the job...

Comment

Originally posted by Shep View Post
            I'm not sure a stool sample is a compromise - that sounds even worse!

As for the ethics, I guess it depends on where you draw the line - I'm happy with the debatable financial ethics of contracting but enforced drug and alcohol testing is a breach of civil liberties in my opinion. Whether I take drugs or not shouldn't matter so long as it doesn't affect my work. Nothing I do could cause harm to others - it'll just mean some software doesn't work or takes longer to write.

All that said, it seems that the consensus is that they can't legally require it of me but that they could just terminate the contract anyway as I'm not an employee. I'll just have to decide whether my principals on this are more important than the job...
            Breach of civil liberties my arse. It's a requirement to work on certain sites. You can either abide or you can leave. It's not a civil liberty issue at all. You have a choice in it all to keep your civil liberties if you want.

Drug and alcohol testing is about fit for client site. It's not an IR35 issue so no need to reword IMO.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              You can either abide or you can leave. It's not a civil liberty issue at all.
              I think I agree that it's an abide or leave situation - it's a shame but that is how it is.

That said, it definitely is a civil liberty issue. I have a right to privacy and I would rather choose to tell people that a don't take drugs rather than them demanding to find out. There is no reasonable justification for them to need to know this information about me. My brother is a surgeon and he doesn't have to undergo drug testing even though there would definitely be justification for that so why should a software developer need to reveal that information?
              Last edited by Shep; 22 October 2019, 12:29.

Comment

It would be interesting to know where they draw the line at applying this to their suppliers. Do ALL suppliers now have to have the test before coming on site, or only those they really think are employees?

Comment

Because most software developers take drugs

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    It would be interesting to know where they draw the line at applying this to their suppliers. Do ALL suppliers now have to have the test before coming on site, or only those they really think are employees?
                    I'm pretty sure it's the latter but I'll definitely check.

Comment

Working...
                    X