• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Drug and Alcohol Testing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shep View Post
    I think I agree that it's an abide or leave situation - it's a shame but that is how it is.

That said, it definitely is a civil liberty issue. I have a right to privacy and I would rather choose to tell people that a don't take drugs rather than them demanding to find out. There is no reasonable justification for them to need to know this information about me. My brother is a surgeon and he doesn't have to undergo drug testing even though there would definitely be justification for that so why should a software developer need to reveal that information?
    Is it buggery. The definition of the term is..

the state of being subject only to laws established for the good of the community, especially with regard to freedom of action and speech.

"security measures can be taken without seriously compromising privacy and civil liberty"
    It's a decision made by an individual client to protect their work. Nothing to do with civil liberties.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      It's a decision made by an individual client to protect their work. Nothing to do with civil liberties.
      If it's not justified, then it does. The OP hasn't revealed the nature of the client, but considers it to be less sensitive/high profile than a surgeon.

However, whether it does or doesn't is kind of immaterial - refusal will probably end with the same result.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        However, whether it does or doesn't is kind of immaterial - refusal will probably end with the same result.
        Sad but probably true unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep View Post
          The question in short is, do I have to take the test?
          The short answer is no, you don't have to take the test.

How that will affect your contractual relationship, remains to be seen.

Comment

Call me sceptical, but I think there could be more to you not wanting to do the test than just "your civil liberties".......

Comment

What would be fair is to ask for a rate increase to cover for days that usually would be on site but in these circumstances you might choose not too. Such as low levels of alcohol after a few drinks the previous evening.
              But you won’t get it.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankyFingers View Post
                Call me sceptical, but I think there could be more to you not wanting to do the test than just "your civil liberties".......
                No, there really is no more reason than that. I've pretty much resigned myself to having to take the test but I will be grumbling about it.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                  What would be fair is to ask for a rate increase to cover for days that usually would be on site but in these circumstances you might choose not too. Such as low levels of alcohol after a few drinks the previous evening.
                  But you won’t get it.
                  The testing isn't going to be daily so I don't think this'll be needed. Nice idea though.

Comment

Yep. He could have paruresis and be medically unable to pee while monitored.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Not everyone is a druggie drunk like you.

Some people never were and others grew tired of it.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X