• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The end of ER?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yMyjgT View Post

It would be so frustrating to be "just miss out". An additional 10% would mean 5 figures extra tax for me, and the first figure isn't a 1
    Is there a decimal point?

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      Yes, but I imagine the typical person going through an MVL will either:
      1) have already taken divis up to top of basic rate band (as 7.5% rather than 10%), and/or
      2) is going into a high paid permie/umbrella role, so will eat up basic rate band there.
      Sounds like there’s still an opportunity to plan around this accordingly, eg make sure you don’t take enough dividends to push you into the higher rate and try and time it for the end of the tax year?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        Sounds like there’s still an opportunity to plan around this accordingly, eg make sure you don’t take enough dividends to push you into the higher rate and try and time it for the end of the tax year?
        Nope. It used to be that the entire Gain was charged at only your marginal rate of tax, but a few years ago HMRC changed it so that you add it to your total income for that FY and then pay either 10% if you are a basic rate tax payer or 20% if higher rate (with the Gain added to your income).

Typical of HMRC to complicate things as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          Is there a decimal point?
          No

Comment

Originally posted by yMyjgT View Post
            No
            More than 99% of Brits would be smiling delightedly and jumping up and down to be in your position. FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              If Government/HMRC want to get of ER then it will become effective immediately so as to prevent anyone taking advantage (in their eyes) of ER.

In any case, the upshot is that you will probably still be able to MVL but there won't be any claim for ER, which means that you will be liable to the usual CGT rates. This will be 20% for most people rather than 10% under ER.
              How is CGT tax linked to closing down a company? I understand how CGT works when profits are made based on purchase v's selling price, but even then isn't there an allowance?

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                How is CGT tax linked to closing down a company? I understand how CGT works when profits are made based on purchase v's selling price, but even then isn't there an allowance?
                Google MVL and Entrepreneur's Relief.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
                  When you close down a company, any shareholder funds left after final dividend distributions are distributed as capital. Assuming the shareholders paid a nominal amount for their shares (£1) and the company has reserved profits, they have made a capital gain personally, subject to CGT. Yes, you have a separate allowance for capital gains - around £12k IIRC. The rate of CGT you pay depends on whether or not you are eligible for ER or if not, whether or not you are a basic rate payer.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    If Government/HMRC want to get of ER then it will become effective immediately so as to prevent anyone taking advantage (in their eyes) of ER.
                    Resurecting this not-so-old thread.
                    Interested to know peoples thoughts and speculations on when an end might take place given the current political situation, if it were to.
                    Apreciate there are no certainties but trying to plan around risks with this route as best as possible.

I would have thought that it would come under budget change. Thus an April budget change most likely. But presumably we could have a post-election /brexit emeregency budget before then although not sure that it would feature highly on that adgenda. A political pundit i am not though so interested on others views.

edit- just noticed this came up on another thread so will repost there.
                    Last edited by MrC; 25 November 2019, 12:29. Reason: just noticed this came up on another

Comment

No idea but I would have thought an emergency budget would only happen once Brexit is known

Comment

Working...
                      X