• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Intercompany loan to a EU company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intercompany loan to a EU company

Hi all,

apologies if this was discussed previously, the search was not so helpful.

I have some funds in my Ltd in the UK and I am considering making a business loan to a company (also Ltd) in the Netherlands. Anything to keep in mind when setting it up?

Thanks!
    Last edited by maximg; 29 October 2019, 19:02.

Is the purpose of the loan to reduce tax? If it is then don't do it.

I'm not sure why a UK LTD would want to loan an NL LTD any money. I can see why a UK LTD might buy shares in an NL LTD.

A loan to a LTD is pretty risk IMO.
    Make sure it's a good interest rate. I'd want >8% before I'd even consider it. And even then I'd want to know why the NL LTD wouldn't just take an ordinary commercial loan.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Is the purpose of the loan to reduce tax? If it is then don't do it.
      Thanks for your response, I should have provided more details:

The purpose is to use a two-company setup as outlined by foxymonkey, but with the second company in the Netherlands - as my current base of activities is there and I expect the situation to stay like this for a few years.

I understand that you would be worried about counterparty risk; in this case I would think it is none as the companies have the same owner. Apart from currency risk, are there other considerations that would make this setup problematic?

Comment

Originally posted by maximg View Post
        Thanks for your response, I should have provided more details:

The purpose is to use a two-company setup as outlined by foxymonkey, but with the second company in the Netherlands - as my current base of activities is there and I expect the situation to stay like this for a few years.

I understand that you would be worried about counterparty risk; in this case I would think it is none as the companies have the same owner. Apart from currency risk, are there other considerations that would make this setup problematic?
        I read that article, with increasing scepticism, until I got to "There is no obligation to pay back the loan and I’m the sole director of both companies.".

His growth of 7% is pretty high. How you going to get that?

Other than not using your contractor LTD as a trading company I cannot see what the advantages are here.
        And the trading company as a Dutch company just complictes things.

I'm not saying that this is a terrible idea, but I cannot see anywhere near enough detail to understand what the risks and opportunities are.

Let's be very clear..... The guy is selling a book on how to get rich....

EDIT: read a little further and got to "Your company should pay a pension into a SIPP pot which grows tax-free.". This is a woeful lack of detail of what SIPPs are all about. I would encourage investment into a pension, potentially even a SIPP if you know what you're doing.

And the guy's been doing this for just three years :0

Summary: Ignore that site. Do your own reseach and make decisions from a position of knowledge.
        Last edited by Lance; 30 October 2019, 09:33.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
        X