• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month expense rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    they did that in 2000. You still sore about it?
    If my family are anything to go by, grudges can be held for a lifetime

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      If my family are anything to go by, grudges can be held for a lifetime
      I hope its not just your family. As it means we are related.

When I was born, my elder brother(6) wanted a boy. My elder sister(7) wanted a girl. My sister has never forgiven me. Luckily no pictures exist of her dressing me as a girl.

Its a miracle I am not mentally scarred.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I hope its not just your family. As it means we are related.

When I was born, my elder brother(6) wanted a boy. My elder sister(7) wanted a girl. My sister has never forgiven me. Luckily no pictures exist of her dressing me as a girl.

Its a miracle I am not mentally scarred.
        Oh...you are mentally scarred alright

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
          I often wonder why this type of person bothers to pay any tax at all... I mean if your not even trying to conform then you might as well go all in
          To be fair a drive from the north (Manchester for instance) to Canary Wharf or the city, is a (almost) completely different route!
          "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by CryingSheep View Post
            To be fair a drive from the north (Manchester for instance) to Canary Wharf or the city, is a (almost) completely different route!
            Some points in London are close in terms of distance but do require a different route to get them, especially by public transport. But if you're at Barclays for 23 months and then move to HSBC....

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Some points in London are close in terms of distance but do require a different route to get them, especially by public transport. But if you're at Barclays for 23 months and then move to HSBC....
              My change of direction is now travelling into London Victoria as opposed to London Bridge. Different route, different train operator.

Comment

Originally posted by CompoundOverload View Post
                My change of direction is now travelling into London Victoria as opposed to London Bridge. Different route, different train operator.
                But I doubt the journey or the cost is significantly different which is the test. The train operator has sod all to do with it.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  But I doubt the journey or the cost is significantly different which is the test. The train operator has sod all to do with it.
                  It does depend on where you're coming from.

Back when I lived in Sussex and commuted up the Brighton Main Line (sadly not a euphemism), the difference in time and cost between London Bridge and London Victoria was negligible. However, if you're coming from a different part of the country, the time difference is quite significant and the journey also possibly so.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    The cost is not the only test. HMRC guidance is pretty vague. It says that a new workplace could be considered a new location - even if it is close to the old one - if there is a substantial effect on the the journey, and "in particular" the cost of that journey. So cost is important but not the only consideration.

It also says that: "in practice, you should recognise [a] change of workplace [as a new location] in all cases exceptwhere the change has made no significant difference to the commuting journey".

EIM32280 - Employment Income Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

We're all familiar with the usual examples (linked to in the above). Its always going to be something that a) requires you to make your own judgement and b) in the event of an enquiry hope that HMRC agree with your assessment.

IMO, in practice the effect on your journey depends as much on where you're starting from as where you're finishing up as arguably a journey from one point in London to another part of London could involve a "substantially different" journey if either end of the journey changes whereas a commute from Manchester to London would probably not be substantially different no matter which part of London you end up in.

Comment

Originally posted by CompoundOverload View Post
                      if you live half way between the two then it's a very different journey.
                      If you live north of the Watford gap it's very similar.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X