• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What does it take for client to do to remain contracting inside IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
    So, if client letter states contractor is operating outside IR35, is there any possible scenario where the liability could fall back to the contractor?
    If the contractor gave fraudulent answers to the client that led them to make the wrong determination, I would expect them to sue once they have paid up.

Liability for getting the assessment correct sits with the client. Liability for deducting the right level of taxation sits with the fee payer. If the fee payer does not pay the right taxes, the liability can move up the chain to the client.

(This assumes that the contractor, agency and client are all based in the UK. If they are not, other rules apply)
    I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, very interesting indeed.

I should've mentioned I'm direct with the client so no agency or intermediary in between.

Not that I would lie, but in a direct bilateral contract, there is less scope for misunderstandings. So hoping that means less risk for the contractor.

So, all in all, a simple client letter and a matching contract (with QDOS review) should hopefully put me in good stead hopefully.

Will start the ball rolling on client discussions following the election and possible budget, so early in new year.

Comment

Working...
      X