• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Temporary visit to the USA for delivering services paid to my UK LTD.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temporary visit to the USA for delivering services paid to my UK LTD.

Hi everyone!

I am the director of a newly created LTD based in the UK. My company provides engineering & consultancy services.
    There is a possible contract to start in a couple of months for a US customer; it requires my presence to oversee the development. It is the electrical installations for a multiple home development. It should take around 6 months to complete.

Do you know if it is possible to travel to the USA to deliver services contracted to my LTD in UK?
    My salary and expenses would be covered by my UK LTD (My employer).

Does anyone here know the procedure to get a travel/work visa for the US to deliver said services?
    As I understand it my UK LTD does not charge VAT for these services. But regarding the visa requirements I am clueless.

Any help will be appreciated.

Originally posted by aquaerius View Post
    Hi everyone!

I am the director of a newly created LTD based in the UK. My company provides engineering & consultancy services.
    There is a possible contract to start in a couple of months for a US customer; it requires my presence to oversee the development. It is the electrical installations for a multiple home development. It should take around 6 months to complete.

Do you know if it is possible to travel to the USA to deliver services contracted to my LTD in UK?

Does anyone here know the procedure to get a travel/work visa for the US to deliver said services?
    As I understand it my UK LTD does not charge VAT for these services. But regarding the visa requirements I am clueless.

Has the agency arranged a work visa for you?

Have a look at this: Living in the USA - GOV.UK
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

If you are going to be performing meaningful work, then you'll need a visa. That will need someone in the US to sponsor you to work there.

If you are not performing meaningful work (eg you are attending the client site to have a meeting where you are providing a progress update but are not actually working) then you should be able to get in without needing a visa.

So the question you need to ask is whether the role you're performing (overseeing the development) would class as work or not in the eyes of someone from immigration. Since it's a long-term stay to oversee the work, I would be inclined to say that it's work and therefore requires a visa to get in.

If you decide to chance it, if they deny you entry at immigration, do not cause a fuss. Do not argue it. Get back on the next plane home. If you argue it there and then, you'll be on a blacklist and will not be allowed in the US ever again.

Take professional advice and see how the client can get you a work visa if you are advised that you need one. And in the meantime, look for a contract somewhere that you can work without a visa since it won't be a quick and easy process.
      I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by aquaerius View Post
        Hi everyone!

I was the USA 3 weeks ago.
        It was for 3 days of meetings.
        All I had was an ESTA.

At immigration they asked if I was there on business. I said yes.
        They then asked who for and somke other questions.
        They let me in, I believe, on the basis that I was being paid in the UK by a UK company.

You can answer that same question truthfully as you personally will be paid by a UK company.
        A visa may be irrelevant unless you've been to some dodgy places and fail an ESTA.

I think you'll get past immigration on the basis I describe. Whether that's right or wrong I'm afraid I can't help you with.
        If you're white it will be a lot easier ether way.

EDIT: Apparently an ESTA is ony good for 90 day stays. So you need a visa anyway, or you need to leave before 90 days is up. Entry requirements - USA travel advice - GOV.UK
        Last edited by Lance; 31 October 2019, 13:26.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
        X