• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you have expenses if you live soley on Dividends?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm transfering from sole trader to LTD company. I will be paying myself dividends/minimum salary. Since I work from home, I don't think I can claim the usual expenses that I would. Example: portion of rent, utilities etc.

Unless I'm mistaken, you cannot claim expenses unless it is completeley business expense for a LTD company.

So when I'm doing my self employed taxes my dividend income, can I input all my usual expenses, as if I was still a sole trader?

Originally posted by Samuel745 View Post
    can I input all my usual expenses, as if I was still a sole trader?

What do you mean by "All my usual expenses"?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      What do you mean by "All my usual expenses"?
      Portion of internet bill/utility bills/website domain expenses - things like that

Comment

Get yourself an accountant. Sounds like a decent one is going to make you money in the short term.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes. For details, see an accountant.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Portion of internet bill/utility bills/website domain expenses - things like that
            No you can’t. Not directly anyway.

YourCo should pay for most of these costs directly in contracts under its own name if they are wholly and exclusively for business purposes. You and your business are separate entities.

Out of pocket expenses you incur personally in the course of doing your job like travel and subsistence can be claimed back from YourCo.

Bear in mind the rules for a lot of expenses can be different as a director/employee of YourCo compared to being a sole trader. Especially things like travel and use of home.

Get an accountant.

Comment

£18/month for use of a home office.

+1 for an accountant will be best to guide you on this, and definitely worth their monthly fee.

Comment

Working...
              X