Contract Review - Both legal and IR35 Contract Review - Both legal and IR35 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 11 to 14 of 14

More time posting than coding

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    About 4-5 years ago I had a legal (not IR35) review done by QDOS on one contract with 24 hour turnaround from memory. It was expensive though.

There were a few clauses that the lawyer highlighted, mainly on IP and client requesting to inspect business records at my business premises.

I'm not sure it was really worth the money, I've just stuck to IR35 reviews since.
    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    That may well change with clauses now being inserted to offload liability to the contractor. I would get contracts reviewed for both these days.
    That's a good point. About 60% of my contracts over the last 6-7 years have come from one agency. Interestingly, the contract I had with them during 2018/19 had some significant material differences compared to the first one. In fact it was the only contract first draft I've ever had that failed an initial IR35 QDOS review. It had six significant failure items. These were all amended and agreed with QDOS and the final contract passed. So, it make sense to get a contract checked, even if you've worked with the same agency before.

TykeLike

Quote Originally Posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    My experience with every other contractor I've ever dealt with is that they signed it without reading it
    I've never read one of my contracts, I get other people who are more qualified to do so
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    I've never read one of my contracts, I get other people who are more qualified to do so
    I read all of mine and then anything I want to query is highlighted to the reviewer. Once or twice I've picked up on something they've missed... Most of the time they say I'm making a fuss about nothing but it all aids the understanding should I need to have an argument

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    I'm sure this isn't true is it? Surely you've made sure the elements are there you rely on? You don't check the payment schedules, termination clauses and so on just to understand what the agreement between you and the agency is regardless of the legal/IR checks?

Other people may be more qualified to check legalities and IR35 but you as the business being engaged are the best qualified to make sure the agreement between you and the agent is acceptable no? No one else can do that for you.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!