• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Review - Both legal and IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Review - Both legal and IR35

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good contract reviewer who covers both legal and IR35 issues? I have a contract that has been sent to me today and the client wants me to start tomorrow. I want to start the contract, but feel it would be insane to do so without getting proper advice first (I haven't even completed my own review).

I noticed that in some posts people were recommending Abbey Tax - I used them once ages ago for a pure IR35 review, but they seem to have disappeared.

Thanks

Bit late to be asking for contract reviews if you are due on site tomorrow?

contract check site:Forums.contractoruk.com - Google Search
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caudovittatus View Post
      Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good contract reviewer who covers both legal and IR35 issues? I have a contract that has been sent to me today and the client wants me to start tomorrow. I want to start the contract, but feel it would be insane to do so without getting proper advice first (I haven't even completed my own review).

I noticed that in some posts people were recommending Abbey Tax - I used them once ages ago for a pure IR35 review, but they seem to have disappeared.

Thanks
      They trade under the parent company now, Markel Tax. Discount service through IPSE of course.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Bit late to be asking for contract reviews if you are due on site tomorrow?

contract check site:Forums.contractoruk.com - Google Search
        Completely agree, but they were unable to provide even a draft until around 2pm today on the basis that they don't routinely deal with contractors. So I had nothing to be reviewed until that point and they weren't willing/able to accept a contract drawn up from my side.

So I either go in by the seat of my pants based on my own review and satisfy the client or disappoint them and wait for a proper external review. Neither is ideal

Comment

If you absolutely have to be on site today, then see if you can say acceptance of contract is pending legal review and presence on site does not constitute acceptance of its terms, or some such.

Not sure if it'll have any teeth but it's worth a try.

Comment

About 4-5 years ago I had a legal (not IR35) review done by QDOS on one contract with 24 hour turnaround from memory. It was expensive though.

There were a few clauses that the lawyer highlighted, mainly on IP and client requesting to inspect business records at my business premises.

I'm not sure it was really worth the money, I've just stuck to IR35 reviews since.

Comment

What did you do in the end OP?
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                About 4-5 years ago I had a legal (not IR35) review done by QDOS on one contract with 24 hour turnaround from memory. It was expensive though.

There were a few clauses that the lawyer highlighted, mainly on IP and client requesting to inspect business records at my business premises.

I'm not sure it was really worth the money, I've just stuck to IR35 reviews since.
                That may well change with clauses now being inserted to offload liability to the contractor. I would get contracts reviewed for both these days.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

The only way I would ever turn up on client site without having signed agreed terms in an agency contract is by completely rejecting the agency terms and supplying my own.
                  My understanding is that myco terms would be what was legally in place, ensuring the agency negotiate. By turning up you have accepted the agency terms so why would they change them?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    What did you do in the end OP?
                    My experience with every other contractor I've ever dealt with is that they signed it without reading it

Comment

Working...
                    X