Contract Review - Both legal and IR35 Contract Review - Both legal and IR35
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 14

Default Contract Review - Both legal and IR35

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good contract reviewer who covers both legal and IR35 issues? I have a contract that has been sent to me today and the client wants me to start tomorrow. I want to start the contract, but feel it would be insane to do so without getting proper advice first (I haven't even completed my own review).

I noticed that in some posts people were recommending Abbey Tax - I used them once ages ago for a pure IR35 review, but they seem to have disappeared.

Thanks

My post count is Majestic

Bit late to be asking for contract reviews if you are due on site tomorrow?

contract check site:Forums.contractoruk.com - Google Search
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Double Godlike!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

Quote Originally Posted by Caudovittatus View Post
    Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good contract reviewer who covers both legal and IR35 issues? I have a contract that has been sent to me today and the client wants me to start tomorrow. I want to start the contract, but feel it would be insane to do so without getting proper advice first (I haven't even completed my own review).

I noticed that in some posts people were recommending Abbey Tax - I used them once ages ago for a pure IR35 review, but they seem to have disappeared.

Thanks
    They trade under the parent company now, Markel Tax. Discount service through IPSE of course.
    Blog? What blog...?

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Bit late to be asking for contract reviews if you are due on site tomorrow?

contract check site:Forums.contractoruk.com - Google Search
    Completely agree, but they were unable to provide even a draft until around 2pm today on the basis that they don't routinely deal with contractors. So I had nothing to be reviewed until that point and they weren't willing/able to accept a contract drawn up from my side.

So I either go in by the seat of my pants based on my own review and satisfy the client or disappoint them and wait for a proper external review. Neither is ideal

Super poster

If you absolutely have to be on site today, then see if you can say acceptance of contract is pending legal review and presence on site does not constitute acceptance of its terms, or some such.

Not sure if it'll have any teeth but it's worth a try.

More time posting than coding

About 4-5 years ago I had a legal (not IR35) review done by QDOS on one contract with 24 hour turnaround from memory. It was expensive though.

There were a few clauses that the lawyer highlighted, mainly on IP and client requesting to inspect business records at my business premises.

I'm not sure it was really worth the money, I've just stuck to IR35 reviews since.

My post count is Majestic

What did you do in the end OP?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Some things in Moderation

Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    About 4-5 years ago I had a legal (not IR35) review done by QDOS on one contract with 24 hour turnaround from memory. It was expensive though.

There were a few clauses that the lawyer highlighted, mainly on IP and client requesting to inspect business records at my business premises.

I'm not sure it was really worth the money, I've just stuck to IR35 reviews since.
    That may well change with clauses now being inserted to offload liability to the contractor. I would get contracts reviewed for both these days.

More time posting than coding

The only way I would ever turn up on client site without having signed agreed terms in an agency contract is by completely rejecting the agency terms and supplying my own.
    My understanding is that myco terms would be what was legally in place, ensuring the agency negotiate. By turning up you have accepted the agency terms so why would they change them?

Should post faster

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    What did you do in the end OP?
    My experience with every other contractor I've ever dealt with is that they signed it without reading it