• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax relief on vehicle

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax relief on vehicle

I am a contractor sole trader self assessing and it's time to replace my current vehicle.

The simplest way to do it is to just claim milage @45p a mile but unfortunately I don't business use the car much milage-wise (maybe 3k per annum) as my core work is overseas where a vehicle is provided.

I do however believe I use the car for, say 20% business use overall (drop-offs, business errands, meetings ) as I average 15k a year.

I know BIK etc does not apply as there is no separation between myself and my business and VAT is not a factor.

So if I got a £25k low emissions car for cash (new or second hand) wouldn't I be better off claiming actual costs of 5k (20% cost) plus associated road tax / insurance / services etc? Or do I just get tax relief off the 5k whilst the 45p a mile is fully allowed? To date I have just been claiming the milage rate on the old car but I'm finding it difficult to weigh up the pros\cons when considering replacement. Has anybody been in a similar position?

Originally posted by mrkjd View Post
    I am a contractor sole trader self assessing and it's time to replace my current vehicle.

The simplest way to do it is to just claim milage @45p a mile but unfortunately I don't business use the car much milage-wise (maybe 3k per annum) as my core work is overseas where a vehicle is provided.

I do however believe I use the car for, say 20% business use overall (drop-offs, business errands, meetings ) as I average 15k a year.

I know BIK etc does not apply as there is no separation between myself and my business and VAT is not a factor.

So if I got a £25k low emissions car for cash (new or second hand) wouldn't I be better off claiming actual costs of 5k (20% cost) plus associated road tax / insurance / services etc? Or do I just get tax relief off the 5k whilst the 45p a mile is fully allowed? To date I have just been claiming the milage rate on the old car but I'm finding it difficult to weigh up the pros\cons when considering replacement. Has anybody been in a similar position?
    Yes! Keep going with the mileage rate...
    "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Originally posted by mrkjd View Post
      And in the above is your answer.....

These are very low figures. 250 miles a month. That's absolute peanuts to most and hardly warrants a business vehicle really.

I think you've got a lot wrong in the above so first thing I would do is go ask your accountant for a full break down of costs, BiK and so on. They should be able to give you an illustration of what it will cost/save. I'm almost sure it won't be worth it. It's vary rare that buying a car through the business is worthwhile, particularly with these tiny numbers.

Sounds like you are going to spend more time working this out than you do driving business miles in a year to me.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You need to do the sums.

You have 3,000 miles x 45p = £1,350.

Now take all costs relating to the car, and claim 20% of these and then compare to the figure of £1,350.

Don't forget to claim an 8% or 28% capital allowance on the cost of the car and then take 20% of that too.

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
          You need to do the sums.

You have 3,000 miles x 45p = £1,350.

Now take all costs relating to the car, and claim 20% of these and then compare to the figure of £1,350.

Don't forget to claim an 8% or 28% capital allowance on the cost of the car and then take 20% of that too.
          Not that simple... when you sell the car in the future you have to consider part of it as an inflow to your ltd.
          "The boy who cried Sheep"

Comment

Working...
          X