• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anybody thinking of liquidating their Ltd co. already?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Win View Post
    If one wants to jump into buy to let which perhaps coincides with the time to close the ltd company. Would it possible to change the purpose of company and use the cash to deploy in BTL ?
    Defo, have done exactly that in the past. Talk to your accountant. Now have a property portfolio generating passive income from old contract income. Company history also helps when applying for commercial loans.

For any new contracts that might come along in the future, simply start an new Ltd.

Comment

Originally posted by ChurchillKnight View Post
      [*]If the company was not a close company at any point in the two years before the winding up date
      Almost everybody's company on here will be a close company. This isn't an issue for an MVL unless you are phoenixing.

Comment

Originally posted by LoanCharged View Post
        Defo, have done exactly that in the past. Talk to your accountant. Now have a property portfolio generating passive income from old contract income. Company history also helps when applying for commercial loans.

For any new contracts that might come along in the future, simply start an new Ltd.
        Inneresting this. Please shed more light on how did you do it.
        Is it just reclassify LTD's main activity and just use the cash to buy property(ies)?

Comment

Originally posted by pscont View Post
          Is it just reclassify LTD's main activity and just use the cash to buy property(ies)?
          Spot on. Company turns into property SPV. As always, chat to your accountant.

Comment

Accountant said one option is leave company open but dormant

I just went from contracting to perm.
            Last invoice is paid this month.

I asked about closing company after as no more income. If perm doesnt work out just set up another company and go back to contracting.

He said one option is to leave company open but dormant.
            If you close company you get entrepreneurs relief - you only pay 10% on remaining reserves.
            if you reopen a similar company within 2 years this may be classed as dividends by HMRC.

anyone tried this path?

Comment

Originally posted by techsoftlondon View Post
              I just went from contracting to perm.
              Last invoice is paid this month.

I asked about closing company after as no more income. If perm doesnt work out just set up another company and go back to contracting.

He said one option is to leave company open but dormant.
              If you close company you get entrepreneurs relief - you only pay 10% on remaining reserves.
              if you reopen a similar company within 2 years this may be classed as dividends by HMRC.

anyone tried this path?
              Which path?

If you liquidate and qualify for ER then yes you pay 10% on reserves, but can't set up another Ltd in a similar field for two years.

If you leave it dormant you haven't liquidated, so there's no restriction around taking on further work via the Ltd, but you don't get the reserves out as capital.

But you know this as it's what you said, pretty much.

What was your question again?

Comment

Originally posted by LoanCharged View Post

There would still be a risk to the Ltd and therefore the director(s) if HMRC decided to investigate any previous contracts and decided additional tax was now due.

If it was me I'd assess the likelihood of a retrospective IR35 investigation. The older the contract the less likely and there is some statutory cut-off where they won't/can't open an investigation after a period of time unless part of a fraud investigation where special rules apply not normally relevant to IR35 incorrect determinations (in the eyes of HMRC).

This risk, however slight, also covers dormant Ltds, which also incur annual costs in preparing simplified account for companies house/HMRC and the annual statements to companies house, and any bank charges if account not cleared and closed.

Which is why I closed my Ltd while working through a brolly. As said, it's simple enough to open a new Ltd in the future if worthwhile for outside IR35 contracts.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
                  From what I gather HMRC can't (or won't) investigate a closed company
                  Am I right in saying that an IR35 investigation is based on the contractor and not the LtdCo? So is closing a company really going to make a historical investigation less likely?

Comment

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
                    Am I right in saying that an IR35 investigation is based on the contractor and not the LtdCo? So is closing a company really going to make a historical investigation less likely?
                    IR35 relates to Personal Service Companies (PSC) so the liability initially rests with the Ltd and the director(s) is protected by the limited liability nature of a Ltd.

The caveat is that unless due diligence is completed when determining the outside IR35 status, with written proof of evidence, then there is the possibility that HMRC would try to change liability from the Ltd to the director(s) if there were insufficient funds in the Ltd (such as following a closure) available to recover the tax bill they were pursing.

So do due dilligence regarding IR35 determinations and if closing the Ltd follow the correct process and pay any taxes due, then the risk of being chased for personal liability for IR35 related taxes is highly unlikely. Some advocate retaining any IR35 investigation insurance for a period of time after the company closure for added peace of mind, as any investigation will be lengthy and possibly costly even if it ends with HMRC admitting there is no case to answer.

It's all been covered more thoroughly in recent times in other threads on this forum but the above is the state of play in a nutshell.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post

The caveat is that unless due diligence is completed when determining the outside IR35 status, with written proof of evidence, then there is the possibility that HMRC would try to change liability from the Ltd to the director(s) if there were insufficient funds in the Ltd (such as following a closure) available to recover the tax bill they were pursing.
                      Is there any evidence that lack of written evidence will increase the like hood of HMRC taking this approach. eg, from the Public Sector.

The "IR35 expert" at the agency advising my client on their IR35 approach told me that no (ie. absolutely zero) contractors were chased by HMRC when they moved from self-determined outside to Umbrella when IR35 was rolled out across the public sector. I took that with a pinch of salt, but he was adamant.

Comment

Working...
                      X