• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Training paid for by myself vs project improvements due to training

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Training paid for by myself vs project improvements due to training

Sorry, another training related question.

Currently I'm doing a 3-day training on a software package I've been using for a client, it's mostly delving into detailed usage scenarios and covering best practices. Plan was to do it properly ie. pay for it via my own ltd. and not invoice the client for the time. Turns out that some time in the training is spent analysing a project done in this particular package, a project that I've done work on for the client (it was a team effort though not just my work). In a way I could argue that whatever I learn here in terms of best practices would get applied to the project thus making it better, thus benefitting the client, so theoretically invoicable as well? On the other hand there's two client permies here as well, so they can say the same thing.

Don't want to be a greedy bastard, but trying to assess this fairly. Any suggestions whether I should bill them for some hours or just stop being silly / greedy.

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Currently I'm doing a 3-day training on a software package I've been using for a client, it's mostly delving into detailed usage scenarios and covering best practices. Plan was to do it properly ie. pay for it via my own ltd. and not invoice the client for the time. Turns out that some time in the training is spent analysing a project done in this particular package, a project that I've done work on for the client (it was a team effort though not just my work). In a way I could argue that whatever I learn here in terms of best practices would get applied to the project thus making it better, thus benefitting the client, so theoretically invoicable as well? On the other hand there's two client permies here as well, so they can say the same thing.

Don't want to be a greedy bastard, but trying to assess this fairly. Any suggestions whether I should bill them for some hours or just stop being silly / greedy.
    Your company pays for it. If it's something you can use on other clients then great. If you get the client to pay for it, then what's the difference between you and their permies?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Edited. Didn't read the last bit of the post properly. What WTFH says. Sounds like you are tying to convince yourself you can pass it on to the client when really you know you shouldn't.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 6 November 2019, 15:56.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

If you truly believe that (bold bit above), then reflect that by increasing the day rate you charge your client, not by trying to charge the client for your own personal training.

Doing that will tell you whether your client also believes the training is worth the money.

Comment

Pass to the client - you will be paye soon amyway

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Edited. Didn't read the last bit of the post properly. What WTFH says. Sounds like you are tying to convince yourself you can pass it on to the client when really you know you shouldn't.
            Exactly that. I'll cough up the monies and carry on invoicing, if I get an extension I'll have an argument to up the rate.

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Working...
            X