• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invest company assets in bullion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invest company assets in bullion

asking for a friend (not really, it just sounds like one of those).

The idea to buy gold (sovereigns I'm thinking) with retained profit, as a hedge against currency fluctuation. And to pay dividends using these gold sovereigns.

Are there any problems with that? (I accept the risk that the gold price may fall, and my warchest is just fine).

The only issue I can see is that the company may have to pay CGT on any increases whilst it owns them. Not sure about that though.

Would it prevent me from using ER in the future?

NOTE: this is **** all to do with tax avoidance just wanting to protect the profit I have.
    See You Next Tuesday

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    asking for a friend (not really, it just sounds like one of those).

The idea to buy gold (sovereigns I'm thinking) with retained profit, as a hedge against currency fluctuation. And to pay dividends using these gold sovereigns.

Are there any problems with that? (I accept the risk that the gold price may fall, and my warchest is just fine).

The only issue I can see is that the company may have to pay CGT on any increases whilst it owns them. Not sure about that though.

Would it prevent me from using ER in the future?

NOTE: this is **** all to do with tax avoidance just wanting to protect the profit I have.
    not sure what the current rules are, but I believe you can now own more gold bullion than previously. I guess gold bullion might be a better investment than sovereigns.

Buy Gold Bullion - The UK's No.1 Bullion Dealer | BullionByPost (R)
    Last edited by JohntheBike; 7 November 2019, 12:17.

Comment

If you'd done this before Brexit and the collapse in the pound, you'd have been a genius. If you do it now and Corbyn wins, you'll be a genius again, because the pound will probably fall a lot further once the Comrades start seizing assets, though perhaps not because they might seize yours.

But if you do it now and Boris wins and Brexit goes through with a deal, the pound will rise and you'll look like an idiot.

FWIW.

Comment

Why not platinum or palladium?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          Why not platinum or palladium?
          VAT
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            If you'd done this before Brexit and the collapse in the pound, you'd have been a genius. If you do it now and Corbyn wins, you'll be a genius again, because the pound will probably fall a lot further once the Comrades start seizing assets, though perhaps not because they might seize yours.

But if you do it now and Boris wins and Brexit goes through with a deal, the pound will rise and you'll live with the risk that you are well aware becoing a reality

FWIW.
            FTFY
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              VAT
              Invest in a ETF that tracks them then.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Invest in a ETF that tracks them then.
                I can't pay dividends with an ETF though.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                X