• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rearranging shareholdings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Does the company have any retained funds? If not, why would it be worth anything?
    No. Because it makes a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by ittony View Post
      No. Because it makes a profit.
      It has no retained funds because it makes a profit?

Comment

OK, so I’m trying to understand the convoluted story. Tell me which bits are wrong:
        1. You’ve been offered some work for a company
        2. You (or they) have come up with a plan to temporarily give you shares in the company.
        3. You get paid dividends, rather than being paid as a salary or a contract rate.
        4. The dividends do not go to an umbrella or Ltd, but directly into your personal account.
        5. When the work finishes, so does your shareholding in the company.

There’s no contract, no insurance, no work-related pay.

Am I close?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          It has no retained funds because it makes a profit?

Does the company have any retained funds?
          No.

If not, why would it be worth anything?
          Because it makes a profit.

Comment

I'd be offering Jam Today in return for my questions answered. Do all accountants work only on a Jam Indefinitely basis?
            You’re the one working for jam....
            You’re doing work for no pay, but expect shares in lieu of payment.
            Or have I misunderstood?
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

All I can think is there are two scenarios here.

1. Tom and Dick are trying to get loads of free work from Harry. Tom and Dick are smart. Harry is an idiot.

2. Tom and Dick are idiots. Harry doesn’t realise this so is contemplating working with them.

There’s no way near enough detail to make any better informed decisions.
              If Harry is smart he’ll either walk away or seek professional legal advice.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

No.

Because it makes a profit.
                Do you know what retained funds are?

Comment

Does Harry realise that with just 20% of the shares, Tom and Dick can simply increase the number of shares in the business and effectively dilute Harry as low as they desire? This is legal, and common. Only a rigid contract can prevent this.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                    Does Harry realise that with just 20% of the shares, Tom and Dick can simply increase the number of shares in the business and effectively dilute Harry as low as they desire? This is legal, and common. Only a rigid contract can prevent this.
                    Harry should definitely read the articles of association and any shareholder agreements for the company. If Harry doesn't know he should do this, Harry should just as for a payment method that would not potentially be seen as tax avoidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      You’re the one working for jam....
                      You’re doing work for no pay, but expect shares in lieu of payment.
                      Or have I misunderstood?
                      No, I misunderstood your enigmatic Wikipedia link to imply I wanted jam today from an accountant.

Comment

Working...
                      X