Consultancy for USA Company Consultancy for USA Company
Posts 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Caerdydd
    Posts
    1,996

    Default Consultancy for USA Company

    I've been approached by a US company to provide a small piece of consultancy via telephone and email.

    I've asked about invoicing and VAT etc had had the following reply:

    "Your consulting services were provided to xxxxxx, which is a United States entity. Accordingly, ValueAdded Tax (VAT) is not applicable."

    Is this right? As I'm providing the services from the UK, the fact that the company is US based makes no difference?
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

  2. #2

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near London, UK
    Posts
    4,129

    Default

    A B2B supply of consultancy services to a business outside the UK is outside the scope of UK VAT and as such no VAT is chargeable.

    If you’re VAT registered and supplying overseas clients you really need to read and understand place of supply rules.

  3. #3

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Caerdydd
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    A B2B supply of consultancy services to a business outside the UK is outside the scope of UK VAT and as such no VAT is chargeable.

    If you’re VAT registered and supplying overseas clients you really need to read and understand place of supply rules.
    Thanks - where do I find "place of supply rules" - is that a HMRC doc?

    Dave
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

  4. #4

    Contractor Among Contractors

    portseven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    the polling booth
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    I've been approached by a US company to provide a small piece of consultancy via telephone and email.

    I've asked about invoicing and VAT etc had had the following reply:

    "Your consulting services were provided to xxxxxx, which is a United States entity. Accordingly, ValueAdded Tax (VAT) is not applicable."

    Is this right? As I'm providing the services from the UK, the fact that the company is US based makes no difference?
    I do the same, and was advised the same by my accounts, you still count the income on your VAT but it is 0 rated
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

  5. #5

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near London, UK
    Posts
    4,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    Thanks - where do I find "place of supply rules" - is that a HMRC doc?

    Dave
    LMGTFY

    Place of supply of services (VAT Notice 741A) - GOV.UK

  6. #6

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near London, UK
    Posts
    4,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by portseven View Post
    I do the same, and was advised the same by my accounts, you still count the income on your VAT but it is 0 rated
    No, it is not zero rated. It is outside the scope of UK VAT - i.e. it’s not taxable for VAT purposes It is still included in Box 6 of your VAT return if you are on the standard VAT scheme but you should exclude it entirely if you are on the flat rate scheme (out of scope supplies are not included in your flat rate turnover calculation).

  7. #7

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Caerdydd
    Posts
    1,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Many Thanks
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •