• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses: Contracting in Dublin, working mostly remotely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses: Contracting in Dublin, working mostly remotely

Greetings folks,

I've just been offered a 3-month contract in Dublin at €750/day.
    I've opted for the Director Umbrella company option.
    I'm hoping to work from home in England with occasional trips to the Dublin office.
    I'm told I can't claim for the travel and accommodation expenses and was wondering if there are other hidden costs in doing this?

I've been sent a personalised net pay calculation by an umbrella company which states:

"The reason for multiple take home pay calculations is to show you different levels of expenses and demonstrate their large impact on your net take home pay. As mentioned, the ability to claim expenses is a massive benefit of contracting; we provide guidance throughout your contract to ensure you are maximising this benefit and your net take home pay."

My question is, if I can't claim for the expensive costs of flights and hotel, what can I claim?!?

https://www.contractorumbrella.com/r...pany-employee/

Google is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Truffles View Post
      Greetings folks,

I've just been offered a 3-month contract in Dublin at €750/day.
      I've opted for the Director Umbrella company option.
      I'm hoping to work from home in England with occasional trips to the Dublin office.
      I'm told I can't claim for the travel and accommodation expenses and was wondering if there are other hidden costs in doing this?

I've been sent a personalised net pay calculation by an umbrella company which states:

"The reason for multiple take home pay calculations is to show you different levels of expenses and demonstrate their large impact on your net take home pay. As mentioned, the ability to claim expenses is a massive benefit of contracting; we provide guidance throughout your contract to ensure you are maximising this benefit and your net take home pay."

My question is, if I can't claim for the expensive costs of flights and hotel, what can I claim?!?

Unfortunately if you're inside IR35 you cannot claim expenses for your work related activities. In that regard inside is worse than permie.
      So either suck it up....... 750EUR isn't bad and if it's only occasional that's OK. Fligths will be fairly cheap with Stobart Air or Ryan. Prepare for some eye watering hotel prices (BOOK EARLY).

Or get a proper contract, ditch the umbrella, and claim away. Read the first timer guides to the right.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

No mention of IR35 in the original post, I’m assuming they cannot claim travel expenses because it’s a single engagement through an umbrella and so the clients workplace is considered a permanent workplace.

Comment

Directors Umbrella is an Irish structure, so it looks like you're registering to pay tax in Ireland. For 3 months, use a UK Ltd and make sure you're outside of IR35.

See https://fenero.ie/contracting-irelan...ide-irish-tax/
          Last edited by Old Greg; 10 November 2019, 19:25.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            No mention of IR35 in the original post, I’m assuming they cannot claim travel expenses because it’s a single engagement through an umbrella and so the clients workplace is considered a permanent workplace.
            Thanks for your response and your assumptions are right.

I've always been on a PAYE basis through an umbrella without a LTD company in the UK, so IR35 does not come into play and always outside the scope of SDC...which means I could claim for some expenses.

The Dublin contract is a one-off stint and the Director Umbrella Company option seems the best as I don't want to have a LTD company anywhere. I was just trying to understand what expenses I could claim under this option. If there are none, so be it. I'll just keep my travelling to a minimum.

Thanks all for your response even if some were laced with needless crass comments like Google is your friend and suck it up.

Happy contracting everybody!

Comment

Originally posted by Truffles View Post
              Thanks for your response and your assumptions are right.

I've always been on a PAYE basis through an umbrella without a LTD company in the UK, so IR35 does not come into play and always outside the scope of SDC...which means I could claim for some expenses.

The Dublin contract is a one-off stint and the Director Umbrella Company option seems the best as I don't want to have a LTD company anywhere. I was just trying to understand what expenses I could claim under this option. If there are none, so be it. I'll just keep my travelling to a minimum.

Thanks all for your response even if some were laced with needless crass comments like Google is your friend and suck it up.

Happy contracting everybody!
              If you are determined to use an Irish Directors Umbrella, expenses claimable are defined by (Irish) Revenue, and are pretty much zero when it comes to travel.

Comment

Working...
              X