• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing company and going umbrella with same end client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Don’t forget your £30K tax free redundancy pay 1st
    an ex-contractor I know, retired, and got the government to cough up some of the statutory redundancy as his CO was skint. Sounds a bit dodgy like, but he got the cash.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by craigy1874 View Post
      You also don't need to worry about it if you take the < £25k as a capital distribution.
      Why not? The TAAR applies to any capital distribution if all the tests are met - I don't remember there a "as long as its over £25k" rule. A capital distribution of £25k would still yield a decent tax saving versus dividends if you're a higher rate tax payer and are eligible for ER due to the CGT allowance and 10% CGT rate.

Comment

If assets are under £25k you don't need an MVL to dissolve the company and take capital - you can do it by just striking off the company.

There are a few sources on the web that suggest that the Phoenixing TAAR does not apply on strike-off - here's one example. It may of course be wrong, but it's a question worth asking.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
          If assets are under £25k you don't need an MVL to dissolve the company and take capital - you can do it by just striking off the company.

There are a few sources on the web that suggest that the Phoenixing TAAR does not apply on strike-off - here's one example. It may of course be wrong, but it's a question worth asking.
          Interesting, thanks for that. I don’t remember this coming up in the numerous discussions we have had on here about this in the past.

Comment

Yes, interesting option.

A comparison between striking off and MVL: Striking off Vs. Liquidation - Company Debt

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              an ex-contractor I know, retired, and got the government to cough up some of the statutory redundancy as his CO was skint. Sounds a bit dodgy like, but he got the cash.
              Is this true
              Seriously what are the rules/law on a LTD director (also on employment contract) to pay themself redundancy of upto £30000 (or £20000 was it)?

Comment

Originally posted by vas View Post
                Is this true
                Seriously what are the rules/law on a LTD director (also on employment contract) to pay themself redundancy of upto £30000 (or £20000 was it)?
                I don't know. All I know is he did it. And got the money.
                I'm not close to retiring so not something I've investigated.

Perhaps JtB will be along soon to help. He's old and well up on employment rights.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by vas View Post
                  Is this true
                  My understanding is it's basically impossible for a contractor to qualify for this.
                  Last edited by Contractor UK; 27 June 2020, 14:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
                    My understanding is it's basically impossible for a contractor to qualify for this.
                    Seems logical not to be possible to get £30000 redundancy payment if you are director-employee.
                    Last edited by Contractor UK; 27 June 2020, 14:41.

Comment

Coming back to this old thread.... I've been offered a permanent role, same client, with such a great package that I'd be mad to turn down. Given that there are no employees doing the same role as me, and never have been, if I were to take the permanent role and close the company down would that put me at risk of being clobbered as inside IR35 for the time contracting previously?

Comment

Working...
                      X