• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing company and going umbrella with same end client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing company and going umbrella with same end client

Hi,

I have a quick question about going via an umbrella company.

I am currently working through my own Ltd and operating outside IR35. I've built up a sizeable amount in the company so would like to liquidate the company and extract the money.

I'm expecting an extension to my contract to be offered next month, so I am thinking about going through an umbrella for 6-12 months whilst I close the company down. Even though I'm working for the same end client, this wouldn't cause me any issues with phoenixing as I'm not working through my own Ltd would it? After I've closed the company and got the money out I would either continue through an umbrella or go perm but have no plans to operate through a Ltd again either in the short or long term.

Thanks

No issue with phoenixing. There may be a risk of HMRC looking at people going from outside to umbrella at the same client in terms of previous status decisions. My view is that that risk is probably low compared to, say, going from outside to inside IR35 at the same client, but nobody knows for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
      There may be a risk of HMRC looking at people going from outside to umbrella at the same client in terms of previous status decisions.
      Thanks for the reply, I did also think about that. But would they know Im at the same client? If I go umbrella then wouldn't my employers number/ID change as it's currently my Ltd co? So for all they know I've just gone permy?

Comment

Similar situation with client

Hi, I have in a similar position, i.e. outside IR35 via limited. And soon will need to switch to umbrella or PAYE if I want to stay with the client. However, I would like to return to limited if possible if/when the off-payroll changes have calmed down. Do I have to wait 3 years if I shut the company down and extract funds before I can be a director again? Thanks, Jake
        Reality exists in the human mind, and nowhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by jdt View Post
          Hi, I have in a similar position, i.e. outside IR35 via limited. And soon will need to switch to umbrella or PAYE if I want to stay with the client. However, I would like to return to limited if possible if/when the off-payroll changes have calmed down. Do I have to wait 3 years if I shut the company down and extract funds before I can be a director again? Thanks, Jake
          No you can be a director whenever you like.

Comment

Originally posted by jdt View Post
            If you’re taking the company reserves as capital via an MVL then you can’t set up a new Ltd for a similar business for two years after the capital distribution. If you do, the capital is liable to be reclassified as income.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
              If you’re taking the company reserves as capital via an MVL then you can’t set up a new Ltd for a similar business for two years after the capital distribution. If you do, the capital is liable to be reclassified as income.
              If i get my company funds below £25K by putting a lump sum into my pension and then take the rest as dividends, can I close the company without having to go through an MVL, and if so can I then start a new company 12 or 18 months later without any issues?
              • The meaning of life is to give life meaning
              • Worrying about tomorrow spoils today

Comment

Originally posted by DannyF1966 View Post
                If i get my company funds below £25K by putting a lump sum into my pension and then take the rest as dividends, can I close the company without having to go through an MVL, and if so can I then start a new company 12 or 18 months later without any issues?
                If you do not receive the tax benefit of a capital distribution but instead take your profits as income (e.g. dividends) then you do not need to worry about the TAAR "2 year" rule.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  If you do not receive the tax benefit of a capital distribution but instead take your profits as income (e.g. dividends) then you do not need to worry about the TAAR "2 year" rule.
                  You also don't need to worry about it if you take the < £25k as a capital distribution.

Dunno why you would worry about getting reserves down to less than £25k if you are just going to take dividends though? Seems a strange thought process.

Comment

Don’t forget your £30K tax free redundancy pay 1st

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X